Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WTF problems

I have only had very limited experience so far with WTF, using it to finish a couple of ~10" deep bowls. I applied it using folded up blue shop towels, applying what to my mind was very thin coats every 10 minutes or so, beating it back with 0000 steel wool every 3-4 coats. I think the total number of coats was about 10. I have been happy with the results so far.

Leo: The MSDS you posted appears to be for Behlen's WTF. I believe the original poster is using General Finishes WTF. It is new in the last year or so; maybe you missed all the posts on it while you were away.

Ah, yes, I am talking about General Finishes, too...
    I drink, therefore I am.

The weird thing I've noticed about the lap marks when wiping it on thick is that when I just wipe a thick coan on quick, without going back and forth over the same section, the lap marks even themselves out in the drying process. The stuff does not have a high solids content. When I go back and forth and try to get an even film on, everything goes downhill.

The problem I have is that a thick coat on the sides of the bowl tends to run. Answer is to dip the rag, do the bottom of the bowl, and then after the rag has less finish in it, sort of wipe it up onto the sides. Not sure if that makes sense, but it seems to work for me.

Me too and Leo MSDS doesn't look right. It's a water based hybrid finish.

Last time I used it on a 9" bowl. I applied via cotton towel.. folded into a square. I use one edge of it like a brush. I load up enough WTF to soak 1/2 of the square folded towel.

I apply very quick and do not try to go back and forth. Especially the first coat.
    I only do 1 side of a bowl at a time.
    I sand at 320 with a foam pad
    Additional coats go on much better after build up of previous coats.
    Last coat I do not sand
    I buff out after a few days of cure time over 65f room.

It is not a simple finish
    Make sure it is mixed and if you have the can open a few times, I would strain with a fine mesh.

It sprays very well if you have a hvlp gun with a 1mm tip

All my sanding is very light, making a powder residue. Looking to de-nib. If you see scratches, 320 is not go to get rid of them.
    Lap marks - you almost have to start over.

Like I mentioned, try Arm-r-seal. They sell it in a small bottle to try.

I'm not familiar with this finish but I would check to see if there is a retarder available for it to slow down the drying time and give it a chance to level out some after application.

Thanks for all the input. Today I sanded it all flat again, briefly with 220 then thoroughly with 320. Will give it another try as I have liked the results with Generals WTF on smaller pieces and let you know what happened.

Sure looks like I was talking Oranges and you guys Apples

And no am not aware of a new (water based,carried??) finish, as the wood turners finish I knew about was like the one I got the MSDS on, sorry for the mix-up.
    Have fun and take care

Leo, here is the MSDS.. had it saved and dug it up. As far as a health hazard, it's a 1.. 4 being the highest given. 1= slight hazard with "possiible irritation". Almost everything get's a 1 or higher, not seen a 0 unless it's pure water. Always wear a mask of some type.

GF - WTF MSDS.jpg

Hmmmmm. Water is a 0, huh? I bet that will be the new "best finish" in California...
    I drink, therefore I am.

The other 30 t0 40% part is what you have to have a close look at, so most of the alcohols are gone, but things like trimethylbenzine even at low PPM should not be lightly dismissed, anyway I don't think I'm going to be looking for another troublesome finish soon, and thanks for the MSDS Peter, saves me digging for more info I don't really need
    Have fun and take care

Well I had to go look... from OSHA

Summary of toxicology
    1. Effects on Animals: Trimethyl benzene is a skin irritant and also affects the lungs and central nervous system in experimental animals [ACGIH 1991]. The oral LD(50) in rats is 8,970 mg/kg [NIOSH 1991]. Instillation of trimethyl benzene into the lungs caused chemical pneumonitis at the site of contact [ACGIH 1991]. High concentrations of trimethyl benzene vapors cause central nervous system depression [ACGIH 1991]. During a 24-hour exposure to 2,400 ppm of the 1,3, 5-trimethyl benzene isomer, 4 of 16 rats died of respiratory arrest [ACGIH 1991]. Rats exposed to 1,700 ppm for four months had reduced body weight gain, central nervous system depression, and increasing lymphopenia and neutrophilia. The hematological effects were attributed to benzene contamination of the trimethyl benzene [ACGIH 1991].
    2. Effects on Humans: Workers exposed to a solvent containing 80 percent trimethyl benzenes complained of nervousness, tension, anxiety, and asthmatic bronchitis; in addition, the peripheral blood showed a tendency to hypochromic anemia and prolonged coagubility of blood; the peripheral blood effects were attributed to benzene contamination of the solvent [ACGIH 1991].

* Signs and symptoms of exposure
    1. Acute exposure: No signs or symptoms of acute exposure to trimethyl benzene have been reported in humans.
    2. Chronic exposure: Chronic exposure to trimethyl benzene has caused nervousness, tension, anxiety, asthmatic bronchitis and blood changes in humans.