Thread: set screw for locking Oneway Stronghold to spindle?

set screw for locking Oneway Stronghold to spindle?

Can anyone tell me what size set screw locks the Stronghold to the spindle? The threads are in the spindle adaptor, but no set screw came with it, nor are they mentioned in the manual. I know I can take it with me to the hardware store, but thought someone might know off the top of their heads. Thanks.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

I have Stronghold chucks. The set screw is Metric M8. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 12-18-2012 at 9:21 PM.
    Dick Mahany.

The set screws for all Oneway chucks are all 8mm unless the adaptor in the chuck is for a Shopsmith as that one has 5/16" set screws
    Have fun and take care

I bought some extra socket set screws from McMaster Carr. The size was M8 x 12 mm. I got the extended point (dog point) style that have a flat on them so they don't mar my spindle. There are some that have plastic on the side so they don't loosen as easily. I bought stainless steel that make them much harder to find when they fall out and roll into the shavings. Regular steel would be better. I tighten them down whenever I sand or run in the reverse direction. If I am only going forward then I usually take them out or don't tighten them.

Cheers,
    David

I too bought from McMaster Carr - got the ones with a brass insert on the end to keep from marring the spindle.

Brass tips are probably a good idea to prevent marring the spindle. I was too late as I couldn't figure why the faceplate on my Jet 1642 was being so stubborn to come off when I originally set it up Who knew the factory would crank down on a faceplate securing screw ?
    Dick Mahany.

Dan - I didn't have the metric option when I went to the hardware store. I picked up a couple of 1/2" long 5/16" diameter set screws and they work just fine.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Steve that is interesting and I never tried that, but I just measured my M8 screws and they were 0.309 " OD ..... Pretty close to 5/16. Guess I'll try a few of those. If the overall length is short, then the pitch difference may be okay. Thank you for an alternative.
    Dick Mahany.

Thanks for all the responses! I ran down to Home Depot and picked up a couple of M8 - 1.25 X 8MM (on the package) that did the trick. I didn't know about the brass tips, will look into those for the future, but may be too late - haven't taken the chuck off yet, but expect to see some marring.

I was quite dismayed when my face plate that I started the piece with spun off the spindle as it was slowing down and rattled around on the threads, as the last time something like that happened I ended up having to replace the spindle - not something I want to do all that often. That time I had changed to reverse for sanding, this time it was just a heavy piece that didn't slow down as fast as the motor. Luckily the threads weren't damaged as badly as before.

Dan
    Last edited by Dan Forman; 12-19-2012 at 3:35 AM.

-Woody Allen-

To keep from marring the spindle threads on my Nova DVR, I keep a small vial of #2 lead shot pieces near the lathe. I drop one into the hole before tightening the grub screw. It's a one-time use, but a 12 gauge shotshell holds a long-time supply.

Dan: depending on your lathe, I'd really recommend the brass tipped set screws. On my old Jet 1642 the spindle was definitely NOT hardened and the regular screws really galled the spindle badly. If you leave them in and forget to tighten them down securely, when you reverse the lathe and the chuck or faceplate tries to spin off, you run the risk of damaging the threads.

Please don't ask me how I discovered this...anybody need an otherwise good spindle for a 1642?

McMaster-Carr can have a packet of them to you in a couple of days. It's cheap insurance.

I'll be ordering some of the brass tips soon, no desire to change the spindle yet again. Thanks for the push.

Dan

-Woody Allen-

Dan thanks for this thread, I just ordered some of the brass tipped. Two packs of 5 were $18.00.
    Fred

I found that if I wrap teflon tape around the set scew before I inset them, the tape gives just enough frictions and reduces the vibration so that they don't back out on thier own. I have not lost any more since doing this.

Tom in Alaska