Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is a jointer a must have?

Is a jointer a must have?

So I have every intention of owning a jointer (I think) but haven't pulled that trigger yet due to funding versus need. I have a scrub, 4 and 5 and really haven't "needed" a jointer yet. The next build will be a bench and I think I know the answer already but is this the project that will finally push me to getting something? If so I'll just put it in the budget for this build. Is there a chance that with straight edge and winding sticks, my jack will suffice?

Other tools that may factor that I own currently: 13" planer, TS, routers, jointer fence that I use on my #5. And I will be using SYP 2x12s for the bench.

Thanks for any input.
    For even the Son of man came not to be served, but to serve.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby O'Neal View Post
    So I have every intention of owning a jointer (I think) but haven't pulled that trigger yet due to funding versus need. I have a scrub, 4 and 5 and really haven't "needed" a jointer yet. The next build will be a bench and I think I know the answer already but is this the project that will finally push me to getting something? If so I'll just put it in the budget for this build. Is there a chance that with straight edge and winding sticks, my jack will suffice?

Other tools that may factor that I own currently: 13" planer, TS, routers, jointer fence that I use on my #5. And I will be using SYP 2x12s for the bench.

Thanks for any input.
    Bobby:

Of course you can get by without a jointer, so long as you have the skills and the patience to use your No.5 effectively. If you count your time worth much, however, a jointer plane is a worthwhile investment. Besides, your just going to buy one in the future, so why not now when you need it most?

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Covington View Post
    Bobby:

Of course you can get by without a jointer, so long as you have the skills and the patience to use your No.5 effectively. If you count your time worth much, however, a jointer plane is a worthwhile investment. Besides, your just going to buy one in the future, so why not now when you need it most?

Stan
    What you said at the end is what I wanted to know. "When I need it most." Thanks.

4. A jointer should have been the first plane you bought, not the last.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Stanford View Post
    A jointer should have been the first plane you bought, not the last.
    Certainly wasnt my first plane. (my first plane was an old block plane)

Maybe I did it all backwards? (pretty easy to imagine, because I do a lot of things backwards)

The jointer is the plane that will open up the world of hand tool work for you, if what you want to make requires it. The rule of thumb (based on math I don't understand) is that a plane will effectively make a straight edge that is roughly 2 times longer than itself. So your #5 will be fine for parts around 2 feet long. Anything longer than that and it is very easy to make a banana. For most cabinet scale work a 22 or 24 inch jointer will be fine. For joiners work, you pretty much need a 30" jointer. My two favorites are a 22" Ohio that is virtually NOS and a self-built 18th c. jointer with silver inlay, although I do have an infill jointer coming my way from Lee Richmond...
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Dillinger View Post
    . . . although I do have an infill jointer coming my way from Lee Richmond...
    Oooh - love to see this.

Nothing wrong with getting another plane first - a lot of folks get a block or a smoother for little tasks, and then the bug bites 'em. A plane like that is certainly a decent way to test the water, get an idea of what a plane can do and what sharp is. But if I was jumping straight in with the decision to do a lot of work by hand or with limited machinery, a jointer plane would be one the first I got. I find it invaluable for the majority of my work. I'd rather be without a smoother than a jointer. Even if I worked in a machine-based approach, there's lots of times I'd want to reach for a jointer plane first.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Good stuff guys. Thanks for the input. Again, I thought this would be the project that really required a jointer. I've been watching eBay and the classifieds here for a Bailey 7 or 8 for a while. I'll pull the trigger when I find it for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby O'Neal View Post
    Good stuff guys. Thanks for the input. Again, I thought this would be the project that really required a jointer. I've been watching eBay and the classifieds here for a Bailey 7 or 8 for a while. I'll pull the trigger when I find it for sure.
    Keep hunting, and don't ignore a good old wooden jointer. They are incredibly good pieces, if you find one in good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Pierce View Post
    Oooh - love to see this.
    I can't wait to get it. Should be any day. I'll be sure to post pics when it arrives.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

If you need an excuse to get a new plane, don't let me stand in the way.

However, I will say that I've recently been able to flatten bench-size slabs with a block plane and a jack plane. Is it ideal? Probably not. However, it forced me to "hone" my sharpening skills and to learn to read the wood with winding sticks and straight edges. I own a jointer. I just don't reach for it as much now. I find it more comfortable to work with smaller planes and keep checking for reference.

I'd give up my smoothing planes before I'd give up my #8. That is the one tool with which I have an unhealthy attachment.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Dillinger View Post
    although I do have an infill jointer coming my way from Lee Richmond...
    Oh my...sounds like it will be a good Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Oh my...sounds like it will be a good Christmas.
    I was extra good this year. And by good, I mean I worked my tail off.

Always nice to attach a little bit of fruit to the labor at the end of the year.

My grandfather used to modify a popular saying and say "All work and no play makes jack", which confused me when I was little because I've never heard anyone else use the world "jack" for money. At the time, I was working 60 hours a week in a cabinet factory (by choice, of course).

I think so, yes.