Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: New chisels? Soft? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Making them in mexico, not that they aren't making a bunch of stuff in china, too.
    The SW chisels are *supposed* to be made over in England now. I'm not sure about the other stuff.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

England: That make actually makes sense. Its where Stanley also produces those horrible Baileys with the plastic totes and knobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Cruea View Post
    The SW chisels are *supposed* to be made over in England now. I'm not sure about the other stuff.
    Right, chisels and plane irons in sheffield. Planes (as mentioned above) are made in mexico, less the irons.

I got the scoop, a change in the commentary earlier, at least for japanese chisels.

Run of the mill chisels get laminated together, some maybe no special treatment.

Good chisels get a soak for an extended period of time, overnight or a day, before getting forge welded and hammered. The good chisels are hammered at high heat then to compact the grain.

(and not below red heat, as george alluded to that's been disproved in terms of compacting grain).

Koyamaichi, Tasai, Ouchi....all have some method of soaking their steel at a lower temperature for an extended period of time before working it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    OK, I give up Dave. What is your avatar?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defenders_of_the_Faith
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 12-28-2012 at 8:10 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Just an update. . .

Stanley replaced it. My wife had kept forgetting to ship it (she works right by an UPS/USPS facility and kept forgetting it in her desk at work).

No fuss, no muss, replaced. And it's already nipped me and drawn blood!
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

Looks like a fatigue fracture on one side and the other side shows the final brittle fracture.

As a metallurgist, there is nothing too amazing about the break and nothing to indicate that there was something wrong with the steel. It is likely that it was used to hard for the grade of steel in the part.