Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nova DVR XP Remote Oops

Nova DVR XP Remote Oops

Got an early Christmas present today when a good friend sent me a remote control for my DVR XP .
    I installed it per the directions, but when I plugged the lathe back in it woudn't power up. Opened it back up and checked all the connections, they were good, plugged it back in and still nothing. I thought maybe the remote control board was bad, so I removed it and put everything back to their original positions. Plugged it back in and still nothing. Each time I tried to power it up I could hear some clicking coming from the control panel or headstock (hard to pinpoint the exact location). I unplugged it again to do another double check on the connections, and the ground prong broke out of the plug.

I sent an email to Teknatool to see if they have any idea what the problem is, but in the meantime, has anyone else experienced anything like this with their DVR?

It's only been a few hours, but I'm already feeling the withdrawl symptoms setting in .

2012-12-19_19-10-57_465.jpg2012-12-19_19-01-36_349.jpg
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Check that the ribbon harness to the main power board didn't come unplugged while you were working on the mod. It's the one that feeds thru the hole in the casting. I had to use some foreceps to plug mine back in. It's a bugger to see the pins the cable connector needs to be put on.

Kathy - I will be the first to say that I know nothing about your lathe but I do know that logic circuits will not function correctly without a ground. I would replace the AC plug and try it again. Good luck!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Kathy, Can't help you with your problem, but I also have the DVR XP remote control and will be interested to hear your opinion of it. I get mixed results with my remote. It seems, at critical times, that it decides not to respond. At other times it works flawlessly. I changed the battery and that seemed to help, but I still get the erratic behaviour. Hope you have better luck with yours.

Hi Kathy;
    I have had the DVR XP since Dec 2010 and shortly into the 2011 year I had issues with the Lathe Safety kicking the unit off when there were slight bumps between the chisel and the wood. (some would call this a "catch" but it would stop with even minor little bumps). Teknatool Service Centre sent me a new Board and Red cover with updated electronics etc. Very good service! I installed the new stuff myself, carefully.
    Here is the reason for posting. The main board under the Red Cover has a CAPACITOR inside and if you are going to take the Red Cover off you MUST unplug the Lathe and let it dissipate the charge in the Capacitor before going in there. (5 - 10 minutes will do the trick, I think)
    A friend of mine here did not do that and he blew his new main board and cost himself a lot of $$$. You could also get a nasty shock from all the sparks in that Capacitor.
    Hope you find the problem soon, we would not want to see your DVR withdrawal symptoms get any worse.
    Peter F.

Kathy,

The first thing to do is CALL Teknatool... you'll get better response than through email.
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

I was thinking of getting the wireless remote for my dvrxp but after reading kathy and Gary's posts I don't think I will bother now, I LOVE my dvrxp and would hate for something to kill it (had mine over 3 years and it's never missed a beat!!!)

I did call Teknatool today, they took the information and told me a tech would contact me. Apparently they are very busy, but I'm in the que.
    I replaced the plug tonight, tried everything and still nothing .
    Jim, I did check the ribbon harness for the main power board and it was still plugged in tight.

Hopefully they'll get back to me soon. I'm lost without my lathe.
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Kathy - I have a Jet 1642-2 that is sitting idle at the moment.... If you want to stop in and do some turning... I will make sure it is available! Just let me know.

PS- we are getting some heavy snow at the moment. Expecting at least 6" to 18" by morning depending on who you listen to for your weather info. I do have a 4x4... if you need a lift! Just say the word!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Kathy - I have a Jet 1642-2 that is sitting idle at the moment.... If you want to stop in and do some turning... I will make sure it is available! Just let me know.

PS- we are getting some heavy snow at the moment. Expecting at least 6" to 18" by morning depending on who you listen to for your weather info. I do have a 4x4... if you need a lift! Just say the word!
    Snow? Is that the white stuff I sometimes see on the mountains?

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy Marshall View Post
    Hopefully they'll get back to me soon. I'm lost without my lathe.
    Kathy, we are lost without your lathe, too. Every morning some of us check SMC just to see what you posted the night before. It's just not the same without that!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Kathy, I called about an issue two days ago, and got a return call the next day.
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

Quote Originally Posted by Doug W Swanson View Post
    Kathy, we are lost without your lathe, too. Every morning some of us check SMC just to see what you posted the night before. It's just not the same without that!
    I'll give an AMEN to that!!

Any more news on the DVR Kathy? I know you are withdrawals by now.

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Matheny View Post
    Any more news on the DVR Kathy? I know you are withdrawals by now.

Sid
    I talked to one of the techs on friday. He said he would send out a new backplate and cord, just needed me to send in a copy of my receipt. With the holidays, I doubt it will arrive before next week and even then I don't think it will fix the problem since I put a new plug on the old cord and it still wouldn't power up. I think they'll end up needing to send a new control board, so it could be a couple of weeks before I'm up and running .
    In the meantime, I'm in full withdrawl. Couldn't even make myself cut up any logs this weekend, knowing that I wouldn't be able to put any of them on the lathe. But it will be a good opportunity to get the shop cleaned up again, maybe this weekend.