Thread: ER32 Collet Uses...

ER32 Collet Uses...

I am probably a little behind the curve on this use, I am sure I am not the first one to think of it but...

Since the collets do not leave much of a mark on a cylinder then make a great pen dis-assembly holding fixture. I had been using a series of wood and UHMW blocks with variety of holes. There is even one block someplace(couldn't find it for the pic) that I have a saw kerf through the center of a hole so that I could put a clamp on it and hold a barrel.

Two days ago I was dis-assembling a New Series barrel to sand down the ends a little more due to slight oversizing. I didn't have the right size hole in my block of wood. On my way to the drill press to drill another hole I noticed my ER32 collet on the lathe with the collet in it that had been spinning this same barrel not an hour ago. All of a sudden there was this big flash of light and loud clap of thunder(honest there was) and then this Duhh sound. ...Well... you know the rest. To paraphrase an old saying "The impossible is impossible but the obvious is harder".

IMG_5575.jpgIMG_5573.jpg

"The best things in life are not things."

You hit the nail on the head JD!! My only suggestion would be to wrap a small piece of plastic wrap on the tube...I usually get a small mark
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots