Thread: Puma PK 5020VP Air Compressor ??

Puma PK 5020VP Air Compressor ??

I am looking for a new air compressor that is oil lube and 20 to 30 gal tank. The vertical Puma model seems to be one of the better fits at 7.1 cfm @40psi and 5.5 cfm @90 psi and 2 HP 120/240V. I do plan to run 220V. The 60 gal vertical units just see too big for my shop space, and I do not want to install it outside.

Anyone have one of these or any comments?

Looks like nobody has any experience with Puma air compressor. I looked at Tractor Supply today and they had a Campbell Hausfeld 30 gal vertical 2 HP unit but it only ran on 110V and 15 amp. That would require a dedicated circuit and I would rather find a 220V unit. LOOKING FOR SUGGESTIONS

I have 2 of those Puma compressors. One at my farm, and a small one in my woodshop. Have read nothing about these compressors on this forum, but they rate right up with the top of the line compressors. Really nice to have a compressor that does not bleed off your air pressure when you aren't using it. Had a Campbell Hausfeld before, it leaked all the time. I left it unplugged, and just plugged it in when I needed air.

Thanks for your reply Jim. Your experience seems to match good reviews on the compressor. I have a question in to Puma about the drain location and if the 30 gallon version (not portable) is available. One question/answer about the Puma indicated that the water drain is located on the side of the head and you had to tip the compressor to fully drain the tank. The drain should be at the low point and not require tipping a compressor to drain the unit.

Looks like nobody has any experience with Puma air compressor
    I've had a fair amount of experience with Puma and it's mostly been bad.
    When I worked at Builder's Square in the late 1980's, one of the vice presidents of the company invested a lot of money in Puma.
    We were forced to drop CH and carry Puma.
    The only good Puma we ever sold was the 60 gal. 3 hp. The return rate for defective 60 gal 3hp was only about 25%.
    The return rate for all the other models ran 50 to 90%.
    The worst was the 2hp "Wheel Barrow". That had a 100% return rate. It was so bad, we told potential customers right up front not to buy it.
    Things eventually came to a head when the returned compressors became so numerous there was no place left in the warehouse for them.
    Company policy was to ship defective material back to the mfg. and if that couldn't be done w/in 30 days, to take a mark down on the item and destroy it.

Since a vice president pretty much owned Puma and bad units had to be returned to Taiwan,,,needless to say, we tried to destroy a lot of Puma compressors.
    I say tried becasue you could beat on one all day long w/a sledge or stick on on a forklift, run the forks up as high as possible then drop it on the cement pad in the lading dock and not do zip to one.

Ok - having said all that ancient history...
    The Puma of back then is probably nothing at all like the Puma right now.

I only mention the above just in case you run across someone that had one of the "old" Puma line.

Rich's experience is nothing like what we see here in Kansas. A lot of neighbors have these, especially the 5020. That is the size of the one at my farm. There is a company at Downs, KS,called North Central Air, and they sell these by the boat load. Just give them a call and they send a guy with the compressor to deliver it and pick up your check. The small one I have is the smallest one they sell with oil. And when I looked at the motor, it is 2 hp! I'm guessing this company has cleaned up its act.

Thanks for your report Jim. I feel better about the Puma. Being an engineer and seeing the result of water corrosion, I wish that air compressor manufacturers would put the drain at the low point and not require tipping to remove all the water. It is enough of a challenge to just remember to drain frequently without having to tip to drain.

I should have addressed the drain issue. Mine is on the bottom of the tank, but there is no reservoir. Just in the bottom near the end. To get all the water out, I lift the end with the handle, and then rock it up and down to try to get it all out.

Puma and other brands like it are marketed through places like Tractor Supply, Bomgaars and your local version of "farm supply" store. Those products tend to be usable but not industrial grade. There is a Puma compressor on my farm, along with two John Deeres, an Ingersol Rand, three Dewalts, and three more that I don't know off the top of my head. The only one of the bunch that I expect to last more than five years is the 50 gal Ingersol. It also costed a lot more. It has been plumbed into the main shop and has provided air nonstop for the last 10 years. We use it to power air wrenches, plasma cutters, tire repair, paint guns, etc. It cycles at least 10 times a day average I bet, busy days ten times that.

Like I said, the rest are usable, just not top of the line, and will not preform as long or well as the better stuff. In my opinion, the tools that those stores sell are high margin imports usually, and will keep you going in a pinch, but better have a backup plan when they fail.

My 5020 Puma is already over 5 years old, still doesn't leak air, and pumps air when I need it. The last compressor I had was a Sanborn, and it was a real disappointment, and the Campbell Hausfeld I had at home was also a disappointment. For a low cost air compressor, Puma is surprisingly good.

Our farm supply stores sell Quincy and IR around here. I own a Puma 60ga 6hp that was made in in Tn, USA. Its great. Many Puma's are now chiwan though so verify where it was made if you want industrial US made. That being said I want a 30 hp as well and that chiwan Puma looks good.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I own a Puma 60ga 6hp that was made in in Tn, USA.
    Interesting.. How old is it? The Puma's I mentioned above from back in 1986 -ish were made in Taiwan.
    I'll never for as long as i live forget the first line in the instruction manual.
    It read:
    "Everyhere we go in the world, our foot steps follow".

That was a good number of years before the "All your base are belong to us" phrase hit.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 12-22-2012 at 6:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Interesting.. How old is it? The Puma's I mentioned above from back in 1986 -ish were made in Taiwan.
    I'll never for as long as i live forget the first line in the instruction manual.
    It read:
    "Everyhere we go in the world, our foot steps follow".

That was a good number of years before the "All your base are belong to us" phrase hit.
    That's funny! Guess the Puma's I am familiar with are not made anywhere close to TN either.