So, I have been practicing with my router and think I'm ready to try to make something for real. I was thinking of making this bookcase.

http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TFH..._BOOKCA_13.JPG

As you can see, it uses biscuits. I was planning on using dados for the shelves instead (I have a router that I really want to try out -- and no biscuit joiner).

I am lost as to how to attach the bottom and top shelves. I can't rout a dado for them since they sit flush with the sides.

For the bottom, I thought of two choices:

1. pocket screws
2. putting a dado an inch or so up from the bottom (and letting the legs cover the sides)

For the top, I could again use pocket screws. But I was wondering about putting a dado a quarter inch down for the shelf and then slipping the top over top of it with a stopped dado (1/4 deep). Do you think that would work? Would it be bad to have the two surfaces against each other like that?

Is there some simple solution I'm missing (other than buying a joiner)? I was planning on attaching the legs with pocket screws.

I don't think it matters, but I'm making the bookcase larger than these plans (wider, taller, and deeper). The top will be edge glued.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.