Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Software for image editing

GIMP is free (opensource usually means free) but the learning curve is steep for the class.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robert raess View Post
    Got a new iMac to replace my very old imac.I take pic's of my wood turning, with my 35mm Canon digital camera.I used to use Canon's 'imagebrowser' to view and edit my pic's, with the intention of some day getting photoshop elements.I had iPhoto on my old mac but never used it very much.My ques. is,now that i have a new iMac with a much newer iPhoto,should i use iPhoto,imagebowser,or Elements?Do they do similar things? Is one a standout as far as user friendly,more features i.e.'stitching,cloning'?In your opinion is the Mountain Lion iPhoto comparable or better than Imagebrowser and Photoshop Elements? Look forward to your comments, Rob
    What are you trying to do with your photos & what format are you shooting in (RAW, jpeg, etc.)?

Costco was selling Photoshop Elements 11 for $59 awhile ago... I'm not sure if it's still that price.

I'm far from an expert in this area but my problem has always been organizing my photos. The filters that are included with free programs has been enough for my basic needs. Adobe's Lightroom and Corel's AfterShotPro offer a lot of basic adjustments + excellent sorting and publishing capabilities. Cost is ~$100.
    Last edited by Greg Portland; 12-26-2012 at 2:28 PM.

I used imagebowser cuz i have a canon camera and i prefered it to iPhoto til i could afford Elements.
    We have a few Canons, but I gave up on IB. JASC Paint Shop Pro has been my goto program for many years.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I am agree with above post. I also have no experience but photoshop is awesome software for pic edit. I can do every thing with pic on this sofware. If you have no experience in photoshop then you can send me pic i 'll do work for you.
    phone repair in regina

5. I use Aunsoft TransMXF to convert MXF file from my C100. it works well.

Another vote for the free and opensource GNU Image Manipulation Program....... awkwardly known as GIMP.

Lornie

The GIMP is terrific. And i understand the learning curve is not much steeper than any paid application. Try it, after all, it doesn't cost anything.
    Paul

Blog Entries
    Paint.NET has a significantly smaller learning curve, and from what I can tell, it has all of the baubles of Photoshop. Oh, and it's free, too.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Blog Entries
    Got a new iMac to replace my very old imac.I take pic's of my wood turning, with my 35mm Canon digital camera.I used to use Canon's 'imagebrowser' to view and edit my pic's, with the intention of some day getting photoshop elements.I had iPhoto on my old mac but never used it very much.My ques. is,now that i have a new iMac with a much newer iPhoto,should i use iPhoto,imagebowser,or Elements?Do they do similar things? Is one a standout as far as user friendly,more features i.e.'stitching,cloning'?In your opinion is the Mountain Lion iPhoto comparable or better than Imagebrowser and Photoshop Elements? Look forward to your comments, Rob
    I find Adobe Lightroom to be a better program for the average amateur versus Photoshop Elements. If you're just trying to perform some basic image manipulation and want to organize everything then Lightroom is the best option. If you want to do some detailed edits (remove an object from a picture, etc.) then Elements is what you want. You can also buy these bundled for ~50% off one title (e.g. $99 for one, $150 for both).

Hmm, I got sucked into the Zombie-thread bump...