Thread: 14" AMT bandsaw

14" AMT bandsaw

I have one of these, gotten from a Habitat ReStore for a few bucks. It seems like a higher-end clone saw of the 1980s--cast iron wheels, cast iron table extensions front and back, decent motor tagged 1 hp. The table trunnions are broken--my fault for moving the saw by pulling on the table.

Anybody have any experience replacing these? Are they interchangeable with other clone saw trunnions?

Thanks.

am

Good luck with the trunnions-are they cast iron or aluminum? You may be able to find someone to braze them, but you may also need to have a machinist true them to one another afterwards.

What I remember about AMT, is from a few catalogs of their I recieved. They seemed to clone well know brands, like your 14" BS was a clone of the Delta of that era. They mostly sold their equipment without a motor, pulleys, belts and switches, to hold costs down. I was tempted a few times, but in that era Delta equipment was still US made and the AMT were Taiwan. I may not be sure, but they came to market around the same time as Grizzly, Lobo, Sunhill and several other names I can't remember at the moment. I have no knowledge of the quality of the equipment, other than they were clones.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Alan - I did the same thing with my Jet/Delta clone saw gotten on the cheap at an auction. Laid it down to transport and broke one of the cast aluminum trunnions. Fortunately, a little internet search gave me a parts list for a similar Jet model and less then 10 bucks later I had a set of two replacements.

I'll check and see if I still have the part number info for you.

Likely they are cast pot metal.

It's very possible Delta trunions will fit it.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Muller View Post
    Anybody have any experience replacing these? Are they interchangeable with other clone saw trunnions?

Thanks.

am
    I don't know for sure but you may find it on Ebay,they sell replacement parts for jet, Delta ,etc.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 12-26-2012 at 2:52 PM. Reason: Removed ebay link. Linking tp eBay is a violation of the TOS

If all else fails, you might call Iturra designs in Jacksonville, FL. He is supposed to be the Delta 14" guru.

You may want to check some videos on youtube on how to change the table trunnions . I guess you can find one .