Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sapele

Sapele

Has anyone here worked with sapele? I just bought a beautiful 16"x50" piece of 8/4 figured sapele. It was one of those "If it pleases the eye, you gotta buy!" purchases. I have no idea what I'll make.

But I was wondering about the workability of the wood before I take a plane or chisel to it. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
    - Julie

I splashed some mineral spirits on it to show the figure better. The pics still don't do it justice.

Julie,

That would make a *stunning* top for a blanket chest. With it's thickness it'd be plenty strong as a seat and could support carving or inlay, if desired.

It should work well although you will need to be careful to avoid tear-out due to the changing grain directions, Specifically, if you plane the board (hand or power) take shallow cuts, especially near final thickness, to keep it clean.

If working by hand, you make need to use some combination of a high-angle blade, uber sharp blade or very close chip breaker on your plane, or a scraper for final finishing.

If working by power, you may well need to allow additional time for sanding and may need a hard pad to avoid low spots..

In either case, watch for and be careful to maintain flatness on the surface, otherwise you may find some softer spots lower than others.

Spectacular board!! :-)

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Neeley; 12-23-2012 at 4:24 PM.
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Are you in for a treat, I made some lace pillow stands for my wife out of it. It works easily, and with just a natural oil finish, is almost seems to glow from within.

I've made a number of pieces with it. A big china cabinet, a mantle, end and coffee tables, and so on. It is pretty easy to work, isn't too hard, and finishes well. It can have interlocking ribbon grain, especially with QS, so it can be a pain to hand plane. Use sharp tools, and make sure your TS blades and router cutters are clean because it can burn, but it's not a big problem. One of the major importers is down the road from me, so I am fortunate to be able to get both plain and QS in about any size I want for decent pricing.

Nice figure on that board! Almost "tiger" it seems.

I am in the process of building a custom master vanity out of quartersawn sapele. As my wife's first introduction to what having a shop means, I took her to the lumberyard where she picked out what she wanted it made in (she loved the just-what-she-wanted aspect and I think my evil plan worked). Anyway, we brought home two 17"x120" quartersawn 4/4 slabs that will make the two rows of 5 drawers in the 7' by 22" vanity, as well as the face frame (5.25/bf, but that's another gloat).

My drawer fronts are rough-sized and stickered while I work on other remodel projects, but the carcases and face frame is done. I didn't have too much problem with tearout, but there was a little. All final machining cuts were about 1/32", and that helped alot I think. I finished the face frame with about 4 coats of Minwax Wipe-On Gloss Poly, quick-sanded with 320 grit after coats 2, 3 and 4, then about 4 coats of Minwax Wipe-On Satin Poly. Literally took about 4 mins per coat for the face frame, hence the seemingly extra coats. The early gloss coats seemed to build faster, and helped alot with filling the pores.

We tried a few finish combinations on some scrap. Oiling first darkened the dark areas of the sapele, and barely changed the light areas. Different look, nothing wrong, but not what we wanted. Turned out the gloss layers under a satin finish made the light tones vibrant without emphasizing the darks too much.

The first picture shows the two drawer front boards after the face frame material was removed but before being cut to individual length. The 7-foot-plus boards are sorta in the picture the way they'll appear on the long vanity front. The next two show the face frame. We really wanted the lighter tones to pop, and I think picture #3 shows we succeeded.

Vanity Rough Stock_1.jpg Face Frame 1.jpg Face Frame 2.jpg

I've built a few items with sample. It works similar to mahogany. A trick I learned from David Marks is to use potassium dichromate to darken the color. Freshly cut sample will almost be goldish/Brown in color, but as it ages it turns more red. The potassium dichromate gives you that dark red look instantly instead of waiting years.

WOW! Thank you! Some great tips and ideas here. Blanket chest? Hmmmm... Interesting... I have a FWW issue where Tommy Mac made one, lots of carving on it and that's not my strong suit, in fact I'm in pre-school in that area. Still, that is a direction that never crossed my mind. I also had no idea sapale turns red with age, a nice plus. I'll have to pick up some PD and see how it works.

I think this episode in my woodworking life will be filled with a lot of learning and hopefully a lot of fun.

Oh boy, Julie, will it ever...

One heads-up, in advance, if you're new to all of this... although you'd never find it, it you ask a top woodworker if they made any "mistakes" in there finest piece, if they're honest they'll admit to more than one if there's anything to the project. Such is the nature of "one-off" work. The mission is to either incorporate it into the design or make it blend in. It'll never disappear to you but it's crazy what others *won't* notice as they're admiring the rest of the project!!!

Once I started looking at my projects as a journeys rather than destinations I found my shop time immensely satisfying.

Just my $0.02.. YMMV.. and if you have lots of experience, please forgive my tone if it appears to be condescending. I just wish somebody had told me that when I started.

Jim in Alaska
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

My brief encounter with Sapele is that it works well, looks great! Much like mahogany.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Blog Entries
    I might try to get more wood and make an end table with it. You might consider maple. I saw sapele and maple tables at New Hope Pa.

They were gorgeous. If you hand plane, consider planing cross grain to alleviate tearout.

I will caution you on the potassium dichromate trick. You will need to wear thick gloves and a respirator. And avoid contact with the skin. You will need to mix it with water, though I don't remember the amount. I know you can find that info on David Marks' web site under the question/answer section. You simply wipe it on then use 0000 steel wool to bring out the grain. It will make the grain appear 3D and dance with the light. Its hard to explain, but you'll understand once you see it.

How about a DemiluneDSC01700.jpg

I work with it almost exclusively. Works like Mahogany. Can come out gorgeous.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I've got a stash of it slated to be a jewelry box for my wife. Figured it would look nice in the Ruhlman art deco style. Someday...

I love buying pieces of wood like that and just staring at them in my shop. If they never get used, they still earn their keep as dream material. I couldn't use that slab as is, I'd have to figure out a way to use it for solids and shop sawn veneer to make an entire piece of furniture.