Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharpening options for a new-to-me dovetail saw? Opinions?

Sharpening options for a new-to-me dovetail saw? Opinions?

Hi, all -

I picked up a new saw for dovetailing last week - a Richardson Bros. 8" backsaw:

The saw is in nice shape, though the teeth need work:

Not sure what's going on there. Parts are 16 PPI, parts 14 PPI, teeth sharpened all cattywompus.

Anyway, I'm thinking of retoothing this to 16 PPI. I think I've narrowed down the field to three places: http://www.tgiag.com/ (Dom Greco), http://www.badaxetoolworks.com/ (Bad Axe), and http://home.grics.net/~weir/Old_SAWS_Restored.html (Daryl Weir). I'm not trying to start any flame wars, but I'm wondering if any of you have experience with any/all of these three sources (or any I'm missing), and what your opinions are? The last saw I had sharpened was by Tom Law, so I'm a bit out of the game.

Thanks for any input.
    Scott
    Last edited by Scott M Perry; 12-24-2012 at 1:27 PM.

I would probably choose Daryl, but if you're getting it retoothed, it don't know that it matters that much. There's not much easier than filing and setting a retoothed dovetail (rip filed) saw.

I don't think you can go wrong with those three as choices. I have several saws sharpened by Mark from Bad Axe, and am very happy to recommend him.
    Paul

Daryl Weir's work is as good as it gets.

Try jointing it down flat and rethooth it yourself you'll be glad you did. what you learn will be well worth the price of a couple files and the time.
    Good, Better, Best never let it rest
    until your Good is Better and your Better is Best

Member of M-WTCA Area D

Blog Entries
    Mark at Bad Axe did a great job on my father's old saws. I have no direct knowledge of the others.
    However, if the saw plate is nice and straight, I'd go along with the suggestions to do it yourself.
    If the 16 pipi is the front part only, it may not be a bad thing. 16 to start and a more aggressive 14 to cut faster.

You might look at Logan Cabinet Shoppe he has a saw sharpening service also plus tons of good podcasts.
    http://www.logancabinetshoppe.com/saw-sharpening.php
    Good, Better, Best never let it rest
    until your Good is Better and your Better is Best

Member of M-WTCA Area D

I would direct you to Matt Cianci - here

I also reccomend Matt Cianci. You might also be sent there through Mark at Bad Axe depending on his work load at the moment.

I have US-sharpened saws, a bunch by Mike Wenzloff and one by Matt Cianci. Both do superlative work. Highly recommended.

Regards from Perth (still in Sarasota, tomorrow off to New York)

Derek

Blog Entries
    +1 on what Mark said about giving it a try on your own.

You may not do a perfect job, but you will learn about a valuable skill. It would be next to impossible to really mess it up. If it doesn't work, try again. If you just can't get the hang of it, then send it off.

My first time sharpening a saw worked pretty good. Now that my skill has improved, my first (and a few later attempts) do not look as good as they worked. My skills and abilities are still improving in this area.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Assuming he's not all backed up, I would send it to Bad Axe. He's done a couple of saws for me and I'm happy with the results.

I have experience with three names mentioned in the post & replies. I highly recommend Daryl Weir and Mark at Bad Axe. Not only do they sharpen and tune saws well, they say what they mean, and do what they say. If they say it will take a week, it will take a week, not two.

I have restored a lot of tools and have hired good help over the years to accomplish the work. There are some who's work was very good, however their word was not... and I waited and waited. Daryl and Mark have great work ethics, and get the work done and out the door with excellent workmanship (you will not be dissapointed). Daryl and Mark are also very personable and will take the time to talk to you explaining what they will do and why.

I own quite a few hand saws, I don't use most of them. My favorites I use a lot are old (a Disston backsaw, panel saw; and a Bishop backsaw) and Daryl tuned and sharpened all three of them. There is something in those old saw plates the new ones don't have, I can't explain it, but I can feel it when I cut with them.

Good Luck with the new saw, it looks like a keeper!
    Last edited by Glen Koopmans; 12-25-2012 at 9:13 PM.

Blog Entries
    There is something in those old saw plates the new ones don't have, I can't explain it
    Could it be what makes all of us better... Experience?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks, everyone, for your input and suggestions. I have to do a little legwork now and find out turn-around/backlogs and make a decision as to where I should send this thing.

FWIW, I'd eventually like to learn how to file a saw, at least to maintain the few I have. But I'm trying to figure out dovetailing right now, and would just as soon remove my sharpening ineptitude from the already steep learning curve. So, this one gets sent out. As soon as I'm done reworking the tote (shellac is ready to be rubbed out with steel wool and wax...).

Thanks again!
    Scott