Thread: Finishing Discussion Point 1: "Protection"?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Finishing Discussion Point 1: "Protection"?

In the same spirit that Mark introduced design-oriented discussion threads in the Design Forum, this thread will serve as the first talking point for SMC's new Finishing Forum. Please participate and express yourself!
    -------

So...whenever folks talk about finishes, the "P" word often gets bantered about like it's some absolute. "P" word being "Protection". It's often closely associated with the current retail (and hobbyist woodworker) trend for what my friend Steve Mickley calls, Polyoneverythane...yep, another "P" word. (Steve moderates the finishing forum at another site and does wonderful work himself)

We apply finishes on most of our woodworking projects for a number of reasons, including coloration, highlighting the special characteristics of the wood, etc. and, of course, for protection. (And just to keep things honest, "no finish" is also a finishing choice) All of these reasons can sustain a health conversation on their individual merits, but the last one is probably the one that gets talked about in detail the least. I'd like to change that.

Ok, Protection. From what? That clock on your mantle. Is it in danger from spiders with steel-toed claws? Will you be handling it a lot or is it's primary job to sit quietly...well, maybe not aways quietly depending on the kind of clock it is...and bring you great joy in just looking at it from time to time, as it were? What about that jewelry box you painstakingly made from exotic veneers with custom ebony knobs and all? Will it also be used as a step-stool and need to handle the pitter patter of little feet or will it just be supporting your responsibility to foot the credit card bill from the jewelry store? Hey, what about that end table in your formal living room? (for those of you who have houses that still have formal living rooms) What do you expect it to endure? Really?

All (hopefully humorous) sarcasm aside, "Protection from what?" is a valid question that we each need to ask ourselves when we begin to consider what finish to use on our projects. There are so many great choices (and some horrible ones), but sadly, most of us, especially when starting out in this woodworking thing, get conditioned by advertisements, TV shows and the home centers to think that there is only one finish worthy of our purchase, no matter what the purpose of the project.

While I'll likely comment further in this thread, the rule of thumb I use for choosing finishes is pretty much, "What is the least amount of "protection" I can afford to embrace while maximizing the beauty of the wood?" If BLO and wax will give me the silky-smooth finish I love without materially endangering the longevity of the piece...that's what I like to use. Decorative items get this almost exclusively and so did my recent mantle project. It's a renewable finish, too. If BLO followed by shellac will give me the clarity and pop I want while providing a nice (and easy to apply) film finish that is generally resistant to spills and general use, that's what I'll use. In fact the tables in our TV room are finished that way. If I need something more physically durable, such as the kitchen cabinets I built and installed in 2003, I use water bourne acrylics sprayed on. (Target Coatings usually)

My kitchen table? BLO to pop the teak and then it has about 15 coats of wipe-on polyurethane varnish. Yes, I used the evil poly! (It's even Minwax if I recall accurately) And I'm sure I'll be happy that I used that particular finish type on that particular table once the kids arrive. It was the right thing to use for that particular project.

This is important because finishes materially affect how your completed project will look, both initially and after time passes. There is a great deal of difference in appearance between a penetrating oil finish and a thick film of "whatever". Over-protection might cause an awesome project to be merely really nice.

Now it's your turn. What are your thoughts about "protection" and how do you choose a finish for each of your projects? Are you only using one finish or have you made a pact with yourself to try new products and techniques? If you're only using one product/method, why?
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 04-26-2005 at 10:19 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...