Thread: Anyone know where to get mesquite in the San Antonio area?

Anyone know where to get mesquite in the San Antonio area?

The wife and i are traveling from Indianapolis to San Antonio next week for my Sons Air Force training graduation. I would really like to bring back some mesquite wood for woodturning and some Pecan since we have neither up here in Indiana. I dont know the area but I will have my laptop with me so I can use mapquest to find places you suggest. Or if there is a CREEKER in the San Antonio area that would like to sell some mesquite blanks I am up for that too.

Thansk,
    Jack
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006

Contact Alan Trout. He lives near the Alamo. Can't be any more of a San Antonion than that. If you need flint, I know of someone who could help you in that catagory also. Jack, what dates are you going to be there. I'll be in SA on or about the 3-4th, then must head back to Tucson. If you're there then, maybe we could meet........... Jerry (in Tucson)

Jack, Ill be following this thread with interest. My son leaves for basic Jan 2nd. I hear the graduation is really something to see! Guess I'll find out in 8 weeks or so. Congratulations to your son!

John

Most of the "big" mesquite in Texas comes from South of San Antonio. If you google "South Texas Mesquite Lumber", you will get more hits than you want. I haven't bought any down there. Used to get mine from Texas Mesquite Products in Bastrop until the fire.
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by John W Dixon View Post
    Jack, Ill be following this thread with interest. My son leaves for basic Jan 2nd. I hear the graduation is really something to see! Guess I'll find out in 8 weeks or so. Congratulations to your son!

John
    I retired from the Air Force December of 2006. My son Jared is graduating basic next week and my other son Ben is going into the Air Force this time next year. Good luck to your son.

Jack

'
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Marcantel View Post
    Contact Alan Trout. He lives near the Alamo. Can't be any more of a San Antonion than that. If you need flint, I know of someone who could help you in that catagory also. Jack, what dates are you going to be there. I'll be in SA on or about the 3-4th, then must head back to Tucson. If you're there then, maybe we could meet........... Jerry (in Tucson)

Hi Jerry, I think we will be leaving San Antonio on the 3rd. Not sure though. I will have my laptop with me and will send you a message if we stay longer.

Jack
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006

For the cheapest, buy a newspaper and look in the classifieds for firewood. Another place is Alamo Hardwoods, it has been 20 years since I went there, but I think it used to be downtown. They also have a website.

I am out farther west and I get all I need from the local firewood place, They let me pick and choose what I want. Bad thing is most will have some checking to it, but not a problem since I use small pieces, usually 1.5 square and 3" to 6" long. But if I need bigger pieces, I go through his wood pile that is not split.

Give these guys a shout: http://www.mesquitefurnitureoftexas.com/cat_47.html

Seguin is not far from San Antonio. - John

Jack,

I gave away most of my mesquite about 3 month's back to some fellow turners that came down in September but I have a member of my club that has a saw mill and has a bunch of wood as well as a couple of others. Just send me a PM and I will get you their names and numbers. If you want to stop by my shop feel free. I am on the north side of Downtown San Antonio. I probably have some Pecan that I can give ya.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Trout View Post
    Jack,

I gave away most of my mesquite about 3 month's back to some fellow turners that came down in September but I have a member of my club that has a saw mill and has a bunch of wood as well as a couple of others. Just send me a PM and I will get you their names and numbers. If you want to stop by my shop feel free. I am on the north side of Downtown San Antonio. I probably have some Pecan that I can give ya.

Alan
    Hi Alan, I sent you a PM.

Thanks,
    Jack
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006