Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LV For Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Coen View Post
    Sigma 240
    Sigma 13k (need to get up with Stu for the 400 and 6k)
    String inlay scraper (REALLY looking forward to this one)
    0.040 inlay chisel
    36" steel straightedge
    pencil sharpener

I would probably have checked up with stu about the stones early on, I'd imagine he's willing to deal on price and he has been carrying them *much* longer. A sale of those stones means a lot to stu (a one man shop), but probably not so much to LV.

Not by any means intended to be telling anyone where to get stones, just a reminder about the little guy when the little guy was the first guy. And he has also been infinitely accessible to us, and LV's collection of wares is ever more encroaching on a catalog that stu carries, some of it at our requests (I know I lobbied hard for him to carry the atomas).

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    I would probably have checked up with stu about the stones early on, I'd imagine he's willing to deal on price and he has been carrying them *much* longer. A sale of those stones means a lot to stu (a one man shop), but probably not so much to LV.

Not by any means intended to be telling anyone where to get stones, just a reminder about the little guy when the little guy was the first guy. And he has also been infinitely accessible to us, and LV's collection of wares is ever more encroaching on a catalog that stu carries, some of it at our requests (I know I lobbied hard for him to carry the atomas).
    I know what you mean. If I'd have been buying them they would have come from Stu since he is THE stone guy, but LV's Wish List makes it ridiculously easy for my wife and parents. L-N and others should take note.

If I can figure out exactly what I want, Stu is going to get a nice order for some paring chisels this week.

Koyama-ichi...one of the few moderate priced chisels that is hard like you expect a japanese chisel to be. Nice profiles on the paring chisels, too, delicate and excellent clean work.

(Obviously, I wasn't directing that post at you - glad you didn't take it that way - just a general comment)
    Last edited by David Weaver; 12-25-2012 at 10:17 PM.

5 PMV11 chisels. Lucky we have two stores close by but they still had to pull the display models to fill her order. I guess my two cherries set needs to go up for sale.

SWMBO allowed me to purchase a Delta 18-900L. Got it a few days before Christmas and *thankfully* it wasn't too heavy to put together myself.

I can actually drill straight, perpendicular holes now.

It's the little things that make us happy. lol
    Last edited by Adam Cruea; 12-26-2012 at 8:18 AM.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    LV must have had a good Christmas. I got an LA jack.
    Me too!
    War Eagle!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Cruea View Post
    SWMBO allowed me to purchase a Delta 18-900L. Got it a few days before Christmas and *thankfully* it wasn't too heavy to put together myself.

I can actually drill straight, perpendicular holes now.

It's the little things that make us happy. lol
    That's a great press. That's the only new-manufacture drill press that I considered when looking for a floor model press. For a home shop, I like it every bit as much as a (green) Powermatic 1200.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Coen View Post
    That's a great press. That's the only new-manufacture drill press that I considered when looking for a floor model press. For a home shop, I like it every bit as much as a (green) Powermatic 1200.
    I've just had to tweak a few things (like tighten random nuts/screws, probably due to shipping) and it has been great. There seems to be no run-out (or negligible) and that motor they put on it is a workhorse. I crammed a 1 1/2" forstner into 1.75" thick hickory and it just chewed it up and left a purty hole. I can't wait to bore the dog holes for my bench top.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Got a couple Auriou rasps and a float from LN.

Todd.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Cruea View Post
    There seems to be no run-out (or negligible) and that motor they put on it is a workhorse.
    Yep, mine didn't have enough runout to register with my dial indicator. I was VERY pleased about that.

I agree. I personally have on order the "special set" (1000, 6000 & 13000, etc.) as well as a Sigma 400.

I was kind of hoping Santa would have picked it up and brought it with him. It was right on his way, after all...

You'll love the stones. They are definitely easy to use and will make a super bright (and sharp) polished edge.

You'll love the stones. They are definitely easy to use and will make a super bright (and sharp) polished edge.
    Yes they do. I use mine for checking for errant nose hairs.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

I got a crosscut carcass saw and the grobet saw file role (plus the medium shoulder plane that I gave to myself for Christmas a few weeks ago :-).

Not from LV, but I also got the Hoadley Understanding Wood book that I am looking forward to digging into.

Christian

Wife (Santa) got me the Veritas Cabinet Scraper and the RTS Self Centering Guide for my Domino. Family knows I can always use a Lee Valley gift card, my team at work too, especially since I talked them into stopping at a Lee Valley location while on a business trip in Toronto. Used the gift cards to buy the new planning stop, bar gauge, and their dovetail saw and markers.

I built my daughter a coffee table for Christmas, it was crunch time and I needed to get the drawer made. It took me 2 hours to get the Leigh jig set up for a good fit...... for one drawer. I chalk that up to little experience with the jig mostly however for any project that I just need a drawer or two I decided its time to learn how to cut dovetails by hand, so here I go.