Thread: Going to Toolmart this weekend

Going to Toolmart this weekend

I have the good fortune of living a few miles from Toolmart and I think their jointer and planer deserve a visit this weekend. I currently have a Powermatic 54 (short bed) jointer and Delta 733 planer, so the 8" jointer and 15" (or possibly 20" planer) will be a big step up. Of course I am concerned that Oasis/Toolmart skimped in some areas, so I need some help. If anyone can post some pics or describe some of important features that I should inspect before buying, I would REALLLY appreaciate it. If all goes well and I decide to get them, I will be happy to post the pics of the Oasis parts for comparison.

TIA,

Jim

Jim,

I would think it would be difficult to tell the differences in the Oasis, compared to the Delta. The things that I would do is to take a known 4 foot straight edge. Check the tables for flatness. The tables on my DJ20 move VERY easily, I would move the Oasis's tables, they should move very smoothly. Also, check out the motor mount. Does it seem secure?

That is what I can think of. The hard part to judge is the long term longevity, only time will tell that for you.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Jim---I am forwarding you a PM I received a while ago from fellow Creecker Jim Schmoll re: his experience with the Oasis jointer. The gist of the message was, he still loves it after 6 months of use.

By the time I received the message, I had already gotten something else, otherwise I might have gone that direction myself.

As for what to look for, if you can get hold of a machined steel straightedge, you could check the tables for for flatness, note how smoothly the fence operates, etc. I'm sure someone else will come along with more things to check. The new machines will probably be crated up though, so I don't know how helpful that would be anyway. Good luck, sure sounds like a good buy.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome