Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Father's workbench.

Tom you have a wonderful bench on your hands, no matter where it came from. Knowning that your father used it for 50 years makes it a true treasure!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

I don't have a bench from my father, but I do have most of his tools. I also have a vise from one grandfather and wooden tool boxes from both grandfathers. They hold handtools I don't use but would never part with. Some of them are broken, but are complete with thoughts of the men that worked with them. Funny how the simple things are so special..... I have a pair of slip joint pliers that were given to me for a birthday years ago by a friend. He tought me so much about mechanical things. He ran a wrecker service and garage where I spent every summer for many years. How about this for a twist.... He got me interested in electronics, which has provided income for my and my family for all of these years..... Now I am trying to move from there to woodworking.

If you don't have on, try to get a picture of you and your dad at the bench soon. One day, that picture just might hang over that bench and remind you your dad is always watching over his son while he works.

God bless you and your family.

Ed

Awesome heirloom. Every inch has so many stories. The road goes on forever, keep it open.

Tom, as you use the bench with your kids, they will keep the memories and hope they pass it down to their kids. Great gift that the plastic could not buy!
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Pritchard
    Interestingly enough, I have special instructions from my Dad not to move any of the drawers, or mix up any of the stuff in them. That way he can still come over to my house and work on his "projects"!
    Now, that's the really good part of the message...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Tom,

Someday I will build my Shaker bench, and I hope my son will take good care of it, like you are taking care of your father's.

Your father has honored you by entrusting you with his bench, as I am sure you will honor your son (or daughter).
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

My heartfelt thanks!

I want to thank each and every person who contributed a post to this string. Your warm comments and thoughtful words have helped me to appreciate two things even more than I did:

1) The passing of the bench from my Dad to me was a significant event, and something that will strengthen the bond we have,

2) The folks at Saw Mill Creek are a supportive and wonderful bunch! It is so great to be able to share these things with people who understand the significance of such matters, and are so positive about them.

Again, my thanks to everyone for your support, and your professional, heartfelt words! You are da' best!!!
    "Be true to your work, your word, and your friend." -Henry David Thoreau