Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: School of Woodworking in Elm Mott, TX

School of Woodworking in Elm Mott, TX

Have any if you attended any classes at the Homestead Heritage Village in TX? My brother was kind enough to give me credit there for Christmas and was wondering what your thoughts were. I'm just getting into working by hand, so I wasn't sure king the 1 day basic class would be more useful, or if I should look at either the hand cut dovetail or hand plane class.
    Clark Harbaugh

I took the 6-day foundational class there at least 12 years ago. It was when Paul Sellers was teaching. I haven't been back so can't vouch for it now, but would be interested in taking the Windsor chair class.
    At the time that I was there, I knew almost nothing going in. The 1 week class went through all the primary joints using hand tools plus sharpening, hand planes and whatever other divergences Paul wanted to take. The instruction was good and it was enough to get me making real projects on my own.

I've taken one class there, I believe it was the 1 day Joinery 1 class. I really enjoyed it. The folks there are very friendly and the workshop was excellent. And as a bonus, the little cafe there has the best smoked brisket I have ever eaten - and I've eaten a lot. I don't think you can go wrong with anything there.

I have spoken to the guy that runs it. Can't remember his name now. But, seemed very easy going and knowledgeable. Have spoken to him last two years at LN hand tool event here in Austin. Would like also to attend some classes there

Excellent instruction. I've attended two classes there: 1) 2 day general finishing and 2) a week+ Craftsman rocker. Actually, I think I attended a 3rd class, but can't remember what it was, another 1 or 2 day event. My girlfriend just registered for a basic turning day in late February.

The only problem I had with them is that they require all the beginning hand tool courses to take the more advanced. There was no way I wanted to spend time and money relearning hand tool use with western tools, I was already 30 years into hand tools and using mostly Japanese. The way around that is to take the advanced courses as tutorials, which I did for the rocker; but it costs a lot more.

Blog Entries
    I have spent about 28 days there. I started with the one day Saturday class. I attended both rocking chair classes and the Windsor chair class.

The instructors there are IMO, on par with the Williamsburg woodworkers.

The food at the deli is really good. It is a friendly environment that you will enjoy.

Blog Entries
    That would probably be Frank Strazza.

Blog Entries
    I would do the 3 day handtool class. It includes dovetails as well as using the handplanes. You will learn to chop mortises and cut tenons.
    You will also cut dados.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 12-26-2012 at 9:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    That would probably be Frank Strazza.
    Never had him as an instructor, but he makes some beautiful furniture.

Several members of our local club ( North Texas Woodworkers Assoc.) have taken classes there and all have gotten a lot from them. Frank did a program/demo for the club on string inlays. It was VERY good and I'd say based on that that he is an excellent instructor.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

I have taken the Joinery 1 and Joinery 2 class there and received a credit this Christmas for the finishing class in March. Frank is an excellent teacher and an amazing furniture builder. When I was taking the Joinery 2 class, Frank gave us a demonstration on marquetry and inlay techniques and even did an inlay for the top of one of the candle boxes we made. He will be happy to help you tune up your tools and encourages trying different things when you have some free time after finishing the projects. The people in the class are all really excited and it really gets you pumped for woodworking. You will want to come home and build anything so be careful lol. The cafe is really good and nothing beats taking an afternoon break and going to get some ice cream. I thought one of the most rewarding things was sitting down to lunch with everyone and just getting to know all the people as well as being able to ask Frank about whatever you want to know in the woodworking world. That was fun!

If you haven't checked out the website yet go and look at the blogs and be sure to look at Franks latest desk called "roses". He won best of show at a recent event and its amazing.

I think it is worth it.

I appreciate everyone's feedback. I am very comfortable with tuning and sharpening my hand tools as well as basic use, so I was a little concerned that the Joinery 1 class may be too basic. However, I may just take the plunge and do the 6 day foundation course that covers all 3 levels they offer. That way I would be in position to later take their rocker class. Now, just to convince the LOML to let me leave for a week...
    Clark Harbaugh

Blog Entries
    I ran across this video today. It is an interview with Frank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNwYyJ9muno

Blog Entries
    If you haven't checked out the website yet go and look at the blogs and be sure to look at Franks latest desk called "roses". He won best of show at a recent event and its amazing.

You can see it here.

homesteadheritage-woodworking.com/blog/?p=924
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 01-01-2013 at 6:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post

You can see it here.

homesteadheritage-woodworking.com/blog/?p=924
    I went to that furniture show and saw the desk in person. Amazing work! It's one thing to see stuff like that online, quite another to see it in person.