Thread: Pool Table anyone?

Blog Entries

Pool Table anyone?

I asked for and received for Christmas the spiral bound book "Arts and Crafts Mission Pool Table" from PoolTablePlans.com . Wow. 94 pages of detailed instructions, diagrams, pictures and cut lists for a first class pool table along with a few paper and clear plastic templates. I didn't realize building a pool table would be quite so involved. I have had a pool table in the basement for 30 years. It's been used it for everything from playing pool to wrapping gifts and it even served as my shipping department for 15 years when I had my home business going. But while it has a one piece slate (apparently not a good thing per the book) the rest of the table is fairly cheap construction. So I am thinking I would like to build a new table starting next fall around the slate that I have. First I need to finish up my workshop storage unit, like the one I built for my wife's yarn, then install a Pergo floor in the basement and shop (another thread there) and redo my kitchen cabinets. Hmm, maybe fall of 2014 might be more doable for the pool table. So, anyone ever build a pool table from the PoolTablePlans.com book? Or from any other plans, or from scratch?

Ole, I have the same book. I got a little discouraged after reading the book front to back a couple times. If you have the slate already, then you are ahead of the game. The only way I can see it being cost effective is find very cheap or free slate. After pricing bumpers, cloth, slate, pockets, wood and accessories you are going to spend much more than what you can pick up a nice used Olhaussen for. I'd still like to build one, but its a while away.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

If you're just a recreational player then you might not even need slate and can use an MDF top with economy bumpers and cloth.

If that MDF top has a torsion box type of design then it can be a single piece and you'll probably have a decent playing surface. I just don't know how masse or jump balls would work on an MDF table but for 99% of the shots recreational players make, I think the MDF should last a long time.

Though I do agree with the above post that used pool tables on craigslist can go for dirt cheap, but if it's a project you want, then a pool table sounds like a fun and challenging project.

Blog Entries
    I guess that I am a contrarian on this subject. My pool table currently is my assembly table. I covered the felt, then put some hardwood crosspieces on it and laid a sheet of MDF on those. I looked at selling it but it wasn't worth much..even though I paid thousands for it. It is a great assembly table now
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"