Thread: Work in progress - Maple Burl hollow torus

Work in progress - Maple Burl hollow torus

I'm making a piece which will be donated to my local woodturning club for an upcoming event. I decided to do a hollow torrus and selected a nice chunk of Big Leaf Maple burl.

This was my blank. Roughly 9" X 9" X 3.5" It was part of a much larger (900 pound) burl I purchased just under 2 years ago. This is the first major turning from that wood.
    photo 1a.JPG

The blank was place between centers and the basic profile was turned. A recess was turned on one face so that I can expand a chuck into the recess and get access to the other side. A second recess is turned on the other side so that the piece can be flipped over so that I can hollow it from both sides for complete access.
    photo 2a.JPG

Once both recesses were turned I was able to finish the outer profile by turning a hole through the middle. Essentially I start by turning a doughnut. Then a groove is turned in the center. I used a small swan neck scraper to turn this groove, it's just over 1" wide and will give me access to the rest of the inside of the form. To do the hollowing I use a Jamieson type captured hollowing rig. The bar is 3/4" solid steel and I use both a 3/16" square HSS articulated tip and a 1" round HSS scraper bit. The piece is periodically removed from the chuck and flipped over to get access to the rest of the inside.
    photo 3a.JPG

Most of the hollowing is now done. I'm having a bit of trouble reaching the extreme outside edge of the inside with my current tools but I have a couple more things to try. On the plus side this void will be very useful to get the wall thickness where I want.
    photo 5a.JPG

I still have some hollowing to do and then I have to remove the recesses from both sides. To be continued...

Jason

I am liking this project a lot so far Jason! Looking forward to seeing the completed piece! That wood is going to be beautiful once finished!! Good luck!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Steve,

Good looking work. Can't wait to see the finished piece.

One other comment, wrap some filament tape around the piece so that it doesn't shed parts while hollowing.

Thanks a million for showing this in progress! I love seeing these. Oh, and great looking turning, too!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Yep, going to follow this thread with interest. Can't wait to see your next post
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

That looks really good. Can't wait to see the finished piece.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nice to see the progress pics Jason. Look forward to seeing it finished. I hope you'll bring it to the next meeting.

I've seen a couple other ones that Jason turned and these are forms that really need to be held to be appreciated, they're just plain cool!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Such a cool piece… Thanks for sharing!

Very interesting. Looking forward to the finish piece. It should be a beauty
    Ron

I still don't get it... Why do everyone else's cracks and splits look cooler-n-hell, but mine look like junk and fire place fodder...?
    I drink, therefore I am.