Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mistake gone good!

Mistake gone good!

So, I was turning the foot down in this cherry hollowform, and it was gonna be nice! Beautiful grain, lots of pitch pockets, a few worm holes. And then WHAM! The small tenon on the foot end I was working on broke and the piece went flying. The small tenon had a crack, and rather than stop long enough to just squirt a drop of CA in there to hold it firm, impatience got the best of me. "I'll go slow" I said to myself, "It'll be fine."
    The flight path it took put gouges and scrapes all over. I was so frustrated I just chalked it up to experience, took my DARK BLUE sharpie and marked three giant X's all over it and put it aside, knowing I'd never be able to do salvage it.
    Long story short, my eye kept coming back to it. And just like the Grinch, I puzzled over it till my puzzler was sore and said "What if...?" Lo and behold, this is what came out!
    About 5 1/2" in diameter and 6 1/2" total height. Base coat of kelly green, followed by crackled black, followed by crackled buttermilk color. All acrylic paints. I was going for having more of the kelly green show through the black, which I'd hoped would show through the buttermilk. Top is African Blackwood. All sprayed with deft lacquer. Like I said, a mistake gone good! C&C welcome.

IMG_2985.jpgIMG_2987.jpgIMG_2992.jpg

Great save. I like it

Steve, great save and I love all those cracks and I just can't possibly imagine the tenon not having a crack it. hehehe
    Check the "Articles" section sometime after January 6-7 for a discription of the solution to premature tenon releases............. Jerry (in Tucson)

That did turn out great! I like that crackle look and that little knob of a finial suits it just about perfect.

Excellent save and I have never been brave enough to do crackle on a piece. Thanks Steve.

Not that I'm into painted pieces, but for a painted piece, this rocks! I was really hoping you were going to say this was made of Birch. The finish looks a bit like Birch bark...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Great save, Steve. Interesting shape, nice nob finial and finish!
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

That was a great save! Very unique look that works very well!

Thanks everyone! I was about to sand most all the gouge/scratch marks out, but I had to end up painting this because of the sharpie. I washed and washed with acetone, which took most of the sharpie ink off the piece, but just couldn't take it out of where it soaked deep into the grain. So, painting was about the only option. Didn't even think about bleaching, guess I could have tried that too, but what the heck, I guess it turned out alright in the end.

Well...........YES!
    It looks great.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Great save. The crackle and knob just make it.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

excellent save..I like the crackle
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Glad you were able to salvage the piece! Crackle finish... who would have thunk it... Looks cool!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

And you can't even see the X's......................

Very nice looking piece.
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

Great save Steve! Love the form and I think the little knob fits. The crackle finish looks great too and I think adds alot of interest to it.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.