Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want to make a water powered venturi to....

I want to make a water powered venturi to....

remove water out of my 55 gallon fish tank and then reverse it to put water IN the tank from the faucet. I know I can by a setup already made, but it can't be $60 to make one.....can it????

Distance from my tank to the kitchen sink is about 30 feet.

Ideas?
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Just use a long enough plastic tube. Put one end in the tank, draw water through with mouth suction, and let the water drain out into a sink, floor drain, buckets, what have you. It's called a siphon.
    Buy a fitting to connect the tubing to the faucet and fill the tank back up.
    Garden hose also works.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    Look for a water bed fill and drain kit. (Yah, old stuff) Uses lots of water.

Howard Garner

A hose into the shower or tub siphon it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/fluid-s...ump-93290.html

Works like a champ & the best part is you don't get a mouth full of fish poo.

Blog Entries
    Along with all of the other suggestions... for about $5 I picked up a drill-powered pump from either Home Depot, Harbor Freight, or Sears (can't remember which). Chuck it up, one tube in the tank, one in the sink, press/hold trigger. I suggest not using a battery-powered drill as it will take a few minutes.

Of course, it's likely faster to just use a gallon bucket to get the majority of water out of the tank first...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Dennis....

Clearly, most of these guys have never maintained fish tanks. The thought of siphoning four or five 5-gallon buckets' worth (or more likely, six or seven partially-filled buckets) each week will turn the chore into a CHORE. Howard's the only one with a decent suggestion, though I'm not sure a water bed siphon will draw enough suction to clean your gravel properly. I'd think you'd need it to draw something like 2 gallons per minute to lift the gunk out of the gravel with your cleaning head. Dan's drill pump might do that, but now it's a two man job unless you rig up something to hold the drill by the sink.

Well, I have an excellent tank, live plants, and excellent lighting to support the entire tank. I have to change about 20 gallons a week in order to maintain a nice healthy tank. I'm just getting tired to carrying 5-gallon buckets through the house full of nasty water and then again with clean treated water. I like how Aqueon and Python designed and run by switching valves to drain and fill the tank. I was just trying to figure out how to make my own setup that would be better made, last longer, and be considerably cheaper.

I hope to one day....move up from a 55 gallon tank to something like a 150.
    Dennis -
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

There are several water powered pumps on amazon for under 16 bucks. You might be able to make your own venturi pump by necking down some pvc to create two funnel shapes that meet at the narrow end. The faucet goes in one end and a fitting connected to a hose leading to the tank goes on the side of the outlet funnel. I'm sure you can figure out the fill function with some combination of valves.

It has been a long time since I had fish, but I don't recall ever having to replace 40% of the water every week, especially with plants. Are you managing for other compounds besides nitrate that requires so much water changing?

Save yourself the headache and buy the Aqueon from amazon. I use it and it's a huge time saver, no mess, etc. I am sure you could save maybe $10 to $15 by making one... but then you run the risk of it not working right. The Aqueon has been great. Buy it online, it's more $$ in the petstore, almost by $18.. Amazon had free ship too.

http://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-Aquariu.../dp/B000YAJKL6

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hatcher View Post
    It has been a long time since I had fish, but I don't recall ever having to replace 40% of the water every week, especially with plants. Are you managing for other compounds besides nitrate that requires so much water changing?
    Therein lies the "rub". Many say that you can do up to 80% water change each week and some say you only need to do 20% per week. I have a full chemistry set that allows me to check nitrates, nitrites, PH, Ammonia, and hardness of the water. I run a powered sponge filter, a powered filter with bio-wheel, and an Eheim Eco canister filter for filtration. Gravel bed with some natural decorations and Flourite added to the bed for plant life support.

This isn't my first fresh water setup. I used to breed fish for a local aquarium shop when we lived in Alabama. I ran multiple tanks then with successful breeding. I sold it all when we had to move for my job. I'm just older now and have limited time to dedicate to lengthy water changes. I try to stick to 30-40% water change each week for the health of the tank.

I'm simply looking for a way to do it better....and cheaper.
    Dennis -

SMC is source of some of the most fascinating things I ever read.

Never had any idea the water in the aquariums needed to be exchanged.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    SMC is source of some of the most fascinating things I ever read.

Never had any idea the water in the aquariums needed to be exchanged.
    Sure does Phil....to help remove/reduce the bad stuff in the water that the fish put out....Nitrates, Nitrites, and Ammonia are all byproducts of fish and fish food waste. An aquarium that supports live fish and plant...requires one to become a budding chemist.
    Dennis -

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Elliott View Post
    Did you notice what they show as the list price? $4,320?
    You Save: $4,295.91 (99%)
    How can you pass up a deal like that?
    Last edited by Ben Hatcher; 12-28-2012 at 3:49 PM.

Yea....I saw that....

Capture.jpg
    Dennis -