Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Router Table Dust Collection

To Eric on finding a router with good dust collection. A highly efficient router mounted set up could sidestep the need for dust chutes and all of that, but after some searching i chickened out on finding a set up that inspired that sort of confidence. (somebody does offer a shroud that attaches to the plunge pillars (?) too) The dust chute/box in the end seemed like a proven, safe and versatile/multi function if more complicated solution..

The difficulty that's left is the likelihood that even if the router/dust chute/under table collection is really good it seems likely that there will still be set ups where it's not going to be able to catch all of the dust because the action isn't happening close enough to it.

TBH the extra 4in hose i went with felt like a cop out at the time (it requires set up, and it's still not going to 100% cover all scenarios) - in that it's not what feels like an 'elegant' and total solution. i.e. a single fix that is always there, and both works 100% in all scenarios AND greatly simplifies the hardware that's needed....

ian
    Last edited by ian maybury; 01-09-2013 at 9:05 AM.

Ian, your set up is pretty spectacular, but not everyone has a DC with that kind of suction. Frankly, I get better chip collection out of my CT-22 shopvac than I'd get if I tried to neck down my DC to a 4" port at the router. The air movement I get from my cyclone is great for picking up fine dust, which is why I've got it, but it isn't ideal for the larger chips generated by a router and thrown out at relatively high velocity. If I really wanted to improve on things, I'd probably extend the 4" DC port I've got attached to my sharkguard on my TS over the extra 12" to the router table and suspend it over the router set up. But I'm probably less obsessive than I should be about router table dust, partly because I don't spent a lot of time using my router set up anyway. On the other hand, I am convinced that DC should be an integral part of equipment design and that most aftermarket solutions are band-aids. If I did another router table, I'd probably drop a Festool router in it, frankly.

+ 100% Eric - so many variables influence how these systems work.

This is not to brag because in my case the dust system was installed for other machines, and whatever advantage it delivers was a happy accident - i was sure for ages that it would prove an embarrassing level of overkill on the router table. It's more than is strictly necessary to get the job done, but equally when it's there it's surprising how useful it is.

We often talk elsewhere about the usefulness of high CFM, but a router table (with its possibility of needing to pull air through small ports on both the fence, and past small cutters) seems to be a case where the extra pressure/suction capability delivered by a large diameter fan impeller may come into its own. As it probably does on other machines with small ports too....

ian
    Last edited by ian maybury; 01-09-2013 at 1:47 PM.

Did any of you guys see the video that Eurekazone had up on the M12vc router for dust collection? I sent the base to one of my M12vc routers to them, they put a dust pipe in place of one of the handles and enclosed the base with some thin plastic. To change cutters I have to pull the motor out of the base, but it works quite well for dado cuts. I have some routers attached to plates, so I can just switch out routers in the table without having to change cutters, and just use that router for grooves. And it doesn't work with the dc, too small an opening, use a shop vac for it. Otherwise, I collect from the fence, tried collecting from the cabinet, that didn't work.

I did mine very much the same way as Brian has his set up ( slight differences but pretty much the same) My entire lid lifts up to gain access to the router and it also gives two good hiding spots for small tools for the router. Sealed with weather stripping the weight of the top provides a good seal and I never have any dust build up inside the compartment.

You guys need to post more pictures !

7. Here are some pics of my dust collection setup for my router table extension wing on my table saw.
    001.jpg
    The back side of the fence with the 4" flex hose connection.
    004.jpg
    The opening for the under table dust collection. It measures 4" x 10"
    007.jpg002.jpg
    This is the blast gate used to control the under table dust collection.
    003.jpg
    This is a view of that pipe after that blast gate and where it enters the space for the router.
    005.jpg
    And finally a shot of the opening for the under table dust collection right under the top and the full width of the opening.
    006.jpg
    This setup works very well as there is never any dust left inside where the router is and the above table dust collection does very well. One side benefit is with all the suction you