Thread: Fein Multitool Issues...

Fein Multitool Issues...

I've had my multitool for about 7 or 8 years now, but I've hardly used it. Reason is, it never works right. I usually go to it when I have a difficult cut to make. I tighten down on the hex screw as tight as I dare, but it always comes loose. I tried using the new little adapter washer that is supposed to make the assembly grip better, but still, the screw comes loose. If the dang thing hadn't cost me so much to begin with, I would have gotten rid of it long ago.
    Is anyone else as frustrated with this tool as I am? Does anyone know of a fix for this?

Sounds like your unit is a pre quick-release version. That washer you refer to is not intended to do what you are wanting it to do. It is for a completely different application which involves using the aluminum stand-off. I use a supercut (which has the hex screw as well) and it rarely comes loose. I would contact a fein service center & ask them. I'm sure they can tell you.

I have one of the older Fein multimasters, and I occasionally have the same problem.

You do have to really tighten the capscrew down tight using the allen tool, but mine does have a washer and you have to make sure it is the correct washer for the particular tool you are using. For example, mine has a different washer and capscrew for the sander vs one of the saw blades.

If I am careful and use the right screw it holds ok

I've got this tool, bought it about when you did. Same problem.... I have noticed though, if you crank up the speed on it, and go very slow - it's a lot better. Crappy design though for sure. How smart does a person have to be to figure out the blades will come loose? I'd say they didn't test if very well before it went off to market. The other companies "knock-offs" work a lot better, and fix this problem. Fein has newer models now that also fix the problem, but I'd buy another brand after my experience.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

Last weekend we were doing an install and the Fein kept slipping. After a burst of profanity laden tool rage we sent the boss to get us a new one, he came back with a Bosch after asking the store's reccomendation, it has indexing dimples on the plate and holes in the blade. Love it. The original Fein design is quite silly. (On an otherwise excellent/tool innovative concept.)

You have to tighten the old ones really, really tight - then they'll hold.