Thread: HVLP Sprayer, What to Buy?

HVLP Sprayer, What to Buy?

Not sure if I should post this here or in the finishing forum, so I did both.

I've been looking into an HVLP sprayer. I will primarily be using it for smaller projects using everything from laquer, polys and some paints (waterbourne ceramic based paint). Right now I am leaning towards a turbine sprayer, non-bleeding type and preferably with a gravity feed type gun. Everything I have heard is that the non-bleeder tends to not kick up as much dust. The gravity feed gun is easier to clean. The paints that I would be using would be water borne based paints. Trying to keep cost in mind, but I want something that will perform well. What makes/models would you suggest? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    <!-- / message -->

Frank, you may want to consider a conversion gun, which basicly is an HVLP gun that works off your compressor, if you have a compressor. There are only two disadvantages, 1) it is not as portable, you must take the compressor with you. 2) the air supply is not as warm as from a turbine, the warm air does help some finishes. Thats it.

Richard

Frank

I have no idea how it fits in your budget but I have the four stage Fuji which is an excellent piece of kit. Its not gravity fed but I have no problems with the clean. It is a non-bleed gun which certainly makes live easier from my POV.

It is obviously not a cheap unit but I suspect that the cheap units don't have the same performance.

Frank,

I just bought this HVLP conversion gun based on a tip from another Creeker. The price is definitely right, and although I haven't sprayed anything yet, the quality appears pretty good. I'll be spraying some oil-based paint tomorrow for the first time, so I'll try to follow-up with the results. Don't be worried by the Wagner name. They are the same company as CapSpray & another industrial name that I can't think of at the momment. And FYI - The Wagner HVLP products have been reviewed very favorably by FWW mag over the past couple years.

http://www.gleempaint.com/hvcongunnew.html

Along with the gun, I purchased what they call a "projector set," which includes a larger needle, air cap, etc. to allow spraying of latex paints. The people at Gleem were very friendly & helpful.

Mike

Fuji

Frank,

I just went through this and took Ians advice.
    Fuji pro Q4. Works for me .
    I needed portability, quality, most of all quiet!

Hope this helps
    Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

Frank,

I have both a middle/upper quality HVLP gravity conversion gun and a relatively inexpensive 2 stage turbine. Of the 2, I definitely like the conversion gun much better only because this particuler turbine is not very good, and I have no portability requirement. If you decide to go turbine, I would recommend staying away from both 2 stage, and inexpensive, and heed the other guys comments, the Fuji is good.

One argument in favor of a compressor based gun is the ability to run a cooling system. I have a refrigerated air cooling system for when I spray (which is the perverbial "cat's meow" here in the heat and humidity of south Texas) and it is impossible to run this system with a turbine.

As for gravity feed, one benifit is you can tilt/turn it all around without worrying about drips out of the venthole like on a siphon gun. However, you still have the same manueverabilty constraints with both. It's very frustrating trying to get inside corners in cabinetry, the cup is always in the way no matter where it is.

Another option, which is what I'm considering going to next, is a pressure pot system. For my situation, it's the best of all worlds (lightweight, manueverable, no problem attaching to air drying systems). I've been looking at the Sata Minijet which will function as both a pressure pot and gravity system.

Good luck on your decision.
    Cheers,
    Brad
    Last edited by Brad Schmid; 04-28-2005 at 12:24 PM.

I have an Asturo gun with a pressure pot. I purchased it from Jeff Jewitt at Homestead finishing.

Like Brad, I think this is the best of both worlds. I can spray a wide range of materials from laquers and stains to latex paint. I've also sprayed automotive paint with it. I run mine with a portable compressor because it's a pressure-fed system, it requires less air. Using a system with a remote pot means the cup doesn't get in the way, I can spray any direction and in tight spaces (like inside cabinets). Clean up is a little more work than a cup gun, however.

-Kevin
    "He who dies with the most toys is none the less dead."

Saw the HVLP tool on the Gleem site. Says it's handy for disassembling the unit for cleaning. Is this something worth getting ($10), or does everyone just use normal hand tools?

http://www.gleempaint.com/hvlpgunwrench.html

I've got both, an Accuspray conversion HVLP gun and a Turbinaire, variable speed turbine system. I've had good results with both, but the turbine gives me more consistent results, and I like the way the Turbinaire gun adjusts the spray pattern at the point of the gun by moving the cap in relation to the tip "and" adjusting air volume, instead of the air flow/fixed cap adjustment found on most other guns. It allows for much more micro adjustability. Obviously a turbine is much quieter than a compressor, and unless you have at least a 3HP, 60 gallon compressor you could find using any gun, especially an HVLP, a bit frustrating. Either way you go, a good system is not cheap. But HVLP is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Filtz
    Saw the HVLP tool on the Gleem site. Says it's handy for disassembling the unit for cleaning. Is this something worth getting ($10), or does everyone just use normal hand tools?
    Russ,
    I just use normal hand tools, and I break the gun down completely after every use. If you already have handtools to do it, I can't imagine any advantage to spending the extra $10.
    Brad

I have narrowed the choices down to a turbine type spraying system. I currently have a relatively small ( 2-hp/8-gal) compressor which seems to work fairly well for what I use it for.. With that said, I think I would be bewtter off spending the money on the turbine and gaining portablity than upgrading my compressor. Aslo, my shop is in the basement but most of the painting will be done in the garage.

I have also eliminated the pressure pot type gun. Most of my projects are small and do not warrant the extra cleaning and material rquired for the pressure pot. Although I would like the option to be able to add the pressure pot later if large jobs require it.

With that being said, what Turbine units do you like and why. I've read good things about the Fuji. Cost being a consideration, what is the trade off of a three stage vs 4 stage. What should I be looking for in a turbine system. Do all turbine require thinning of latex and water based paints? What type of flow control? Can you use guns from other manufacturers with a turbine, as long as they are both turbine type guns? Not being sure of what all I will use this for I am a bit hesitant to spend $$$ for extra capability that I may only use on a limited basis. I do plan to have to paint some furniture and trim work, but the rest of the use would be laquers, poly and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Lopez
    I've read good things about the Fuji. Cost being a consideration, what is the trade off of a three stage vs 4 stage.

Tradeoff is pressure. In the case of the Fuji, I believe you get about another 1 to 1.5 psi going to the 4 stage. I think the 3 stage is 6 psi.

Do all turbine require thinning of latex and water based paints?
    Less thinning with a 4 stage.

If you can stand a little more noise, the Fuji SuperPro is identical to the Q3 except for the noise reduction feature at a savings of about $100 over the Q3.

Cheers,
    Brad

I have the Accuspray Turbo IV (240c). Worth every penny. This is a 4 stage with a built in compressor for use with the pressure pot. It also comes with a small siphon cup for touch up use. You can get a larger cup if you wish, but I think the 2qt remote pot is the cat's pajamas. The remote pot allows easy spraying inside of cabinets and allows you to turn the gun any which way you want. It also allows more spraying between fillups. I've been spraying Fuhr 9550 primer and 9200 acrylic topcoat without thinning.
    ___
    Rick

Here's one that I have...

I really like this gun. This is the same as the 9100 model that sells for $949.

This is an older model housing, so they've got them on special. Plus, the folks at gleempaint are great to deal with.

http://www.gleempaint.com/485-spraytech-hvlp.html

Hope that's not violating a posting rule with the link and all... but it's the only place I know of that has that gun/turbine.

I had a HVLP gun on my compressor before, and it was a Binks, which is a highly regarded gun, but I had a lot of trouble regulating it. I never got the results with it that I get with this Capspray 4-stage turbine.

Expensive, but one heck of a gun!

Jeff Smith
    Athens, AL

Looks like I am too late. Tried to get in on the last years model deal but they are sold out. Still looking for suggestions. Has any one seen a review comparing the various turbine setup? Are the quiet turbine that much more quiet? How loud is loud for a standard turbine?