Thread: First Winged Bowl (attempt)

First Winged Bowl (attempt)

After 3 months of making things 'for other people' ... its my turn. I pulled aside this chunk of maple awhile back and decided to try my first 'winged-natural edge bowl'. Its not quite up the the level of quality I have seen here, but it was fun for me! Its about 11" "square", and the bowl part is about 6" diam on the inside....

I learned a few things here, primarily is .... wood, when turned thin enough, can actually be transparent .... while this knowledge can be useful, its not appropriate on the leading edge of a wing. Makes sanding / finishing, uh, fun?

I'd appreciate any criticisms, as I'd like to do more of these and as always, I'd like to improve. Thanks, and Happy New Year everyone!
    (sorry for picture quality, I was too busy today to light tent and real photograph it...)

winged bowl 1.jpgwinged bowl 2.jpg

My only criticism is that the bottom either needs more work so it looks as finished as the top OR it needs some treatment to enhance the "left rustic" feel. Right now it just looks incomplete.

But I like your asymmetric shape of the wings and I like the bowl a lot: good shape and nice finish.

GK

I see what you mean. ... initially, I was hoping more of the bark would stay, but as I shaped the bottom, it just didnt look right, so now, I am half way between. Some of that wood is actually kinda punky, so I may be able work on the sanding a bit more. I really dont have much of a finish (only used some shellac based friction polish). I may work on that a bit more to clean it up before I put a final finish to it.

I appreciate the comments.

I hope I didn't come across negatively. It was only meant in the most positive ways...

We just had a discussion earlier this week about how to save one of my punky turnings. You can see the thread here, if you are interested: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ing-stabilized

Once it is solid you have a lot more options.

Hi Lee..Happy New Year..I like your bowl..the asymetric wings are very interesting. I'm in the middle of the road with the base..don't like or dislike it.. The wood has a lot going for it. Keep turning & sharing.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

I like the wood a lot! Hard to tell in the photos but it looks like you have two very different diameter bowls here. One of the things I always thought was cool on this style of bowl is that from a side view, the bowl looks like one piece that is somehow placed within a thin board. That, for me, was always the tricky part because the edges of the bowl - and thickness - need to line up in order to achieve that look. Here is an example of what I am trying to say: Winged Bowl

Have fun with this style of bowl. It always has a certain wow factor that gets folks to ask 'how's he do that?'
    Last edited by Steve Schlumpf; 12-31-2012 at 7:45 AM.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thanks alot everyone! Greg, not at all - thats what I wanted to hear - and Steve, THAT is a nice bowl. I was headed in that direction, and should have continued making the bottom bowl smaller to more closely match the top. I will definitely try this again and see if I come up with something thats a little more balanced.

Really nice bowl Lee. I like the wings alot. A smaller foot would have really completed it. Can't wait to see the next one.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.