Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walnut Hollowform

Walnut Hollowform

Over the last several months I've been enjoying Steve Schlumpf's "Primitive Collection". It has planted an idea in my head to start a series of my own. Because I can't ever seem to like turning wood that is just pretty by itself, I usually end up turning something that reveals the natural aspects of parts of the tree that are normally discarded. So I thought I might call my series "Organic". Kind of a new project for the upcoming new year. This one is a warm up and kind of a test to see if the bark on this type of form will stay intact once the wood dries, shrinks, and warps. Just a small hollow form from somewhat green black walnut with the bark as the upper portion of the form. Lots of cracks, part of the organic thing, 5" around, 4.5" tall, Keith Burns 10 minute finish. You might also see some influence by a recent Bob Rotche piece.

Walnut HF 1.jpgWalnut HF 2.jpgWalnut HF 3.jpg

I really hope that stays together for you because it is gorgeous!!

Its a beauty Curt! Rich color, some curl and the inclusions within the bark sure add character! I look forward to seeing more of your series! Should be very interesting!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Beautiful piece of wood and a great form Curt. Love the finish
    Last edited by Nate Davey; 12-30-2012 at 11:41 PM.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Lovely form and wood Curt. I hope it holds together, but even if the bark comes off you will be left with an interesting piece.

Great orientation Curt...shows off all the pretty stuff!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Cool looking piece Curt! Great form and love the rich coloring. Hope the bark stays intact for you and look forward to seeing more in your series!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

It looks like it rather splits than come off, so far at least, Curt (the bark that is) Black Walnut seems to keep it's bark on quite reliable, but it's still a wait and see I suppose, anyway an interesting piece, and I'm wondering and waiting for the outcome
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 12-31-2012 at 12:08 AM.
    Have fun and take care

fingers crossed!
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Really nice piece, Curt! I love the contrast between the bark and the wood as well as the asymetric layout which seems to give it more movement. I'm a big fan of bark inclusions, voids, cracks, etc. but you knew that about me already. I think you will be just fine with the bark. I look forward to the next in your series.

Beautiful piece Curt and the wood is rich looking. I do like the bark left on it.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Very nice... love walnut and bark!

Fingers also crossed.

I really like it Curt and hope it holds together but if it doesn't and the bark does fall off there may still be a cool, organic type shape left. I love it as is but if it does let go, post another pic. I'd be curious to see it.
    Call me Jim, James seems so stuffy.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Very nice piece. What is the Keith Burns 10 minute finish? I am not sure what that is.

Thanks everyone for all the nice comments.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dromey View Post
    What is the Keith Burns 10 minute finish? I am not sure what that is.
    Michael, Keith Burn's 10 minute finish has a couple variations. The version I use is to apply a liberal coat of either Minwax Antique Oil or Watco Danish Oil, let it soak in for about 5 minutes, and then wipe it down as thoroughly as you can. I mean really wipe it down until it doesn't hardly feel sticky or oily. Then on this Walnut I immediately buffed it using the tripoli wheel only and then the carnuba wax wheel. Really does only take about 10 minutes and gives a nice soft sheen.