Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Woodworking Shows - any experiences?

The Woodworking Shows - any experiences?

Have any of you ever attended the Woodworking Shows?

Here is the link: twws-test.businesscatalyst.com/attendees/seminars.htm

My father and I attended the woodworking expo in November located in Covington, Kentucky and found it to be a major disappointment in terms of the classes and retailers. It was also very expensive. One presenter spent nearly an hour discussing how to stand and hold one's arm to act in harmony with the wood. Another one talked for ninety minutes about glue choices instead of providing a simple handout to read.

I am hoping not to duplicate that endeavor but see the cost of these shows is only $10, not $200. Any experiences with these shows?

Thanks
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 01-01-2013 at 6:24 PM.

It has gone way downhill the last few years. I have been dissappointed the last two times I went. Now that it has moved south an hour drive I doubt I will go again.

Unfortunately, there was a decline in attendance which caused a decline in vendors, which magnified the loss of attendees, etc, etc. I enjoyed the first 2 shows I went to 9 years ago. The third one was a waste of time. Probably because I had my core group of products and there just wasn't much new for me. The free classes I went to were informative. Kelly Meyer, and other's names I don't remember right now, were good presenters without pushing a specific brand. There were a few deals on small stuff, T-track and the like. But not great deals on the bigger equipment. If there is something specific you want to see and you know it will be there, then it is worth the trip. I don't think they even came to the DFW metroplex last year. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Blog Entries
    I haven't been in a number of years. They used to be okay, but the sows have gotten smaller in most areas. If you are looking for equipment, make sure you know what it normally sells for in your area. Sometimes you can get good deals on the demo units as they don't want to take them home or try to sell them later as used equipment. Don't be afraid to haggle over the price on major purchases, particularly if you can quote local store prices for the same item.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I live close to Nashville, TN. We haven't had a show in about 10 years. Prior to that we had a show about every year for 3 or 4 years. The last two had very poor attendance. Someone should have informed them that college football season is not the time to have a woodworking show, at least not back then when the Vols won a few.

I attended a couple of seminars. They weren't very expensive and some were very good. Frank Klausz was certainly worth the money. I'm not familiar with any of the participants in the linked seminars except for Paul Sellers. I certainly would pay $10 for that seminar.

My father lives in Kansas City where the organizers scheduled one show, but Roland Johnson will be at the conference in Indianapolis discussing topics that hold an interest. It's a short day trip to Indianapolis as well instead of the expense of traveling to Kansas City. It's worth $10 to hear Roland talk; he gave some excellent advice when talking in North Carolina.

The show I attended in North Carolina in April and the expo in Covington neither had any stationary tool companies represented there. As a matter of fact, at the expo it appeared to be geared nearly exclusively to hand tools only, including the work shops. This show indicates Delta will be there and has more than one small powered hand tool manufacturer present.

Regarding the declining attendance, do you Creekers think it's because we are an aging population and fewer younger people take up the hobby? Or has the Internet and websites offered videos and deals with which shows cannot compete for convenience and price?

I think it's probably:
    * convenience of the internet for information
    * convenience of the internet for finding the lowest price shopping

The only show I've been to is IWF - more of a social trip than a real need. I did get (or ordered) some LV stuff there, and an asturo spray gun that turned out to be cheaper online a month later. Could've skipped it all.

I think I'd see them as entertainment or social gatherings at this point, there's no dearth of information available elsewhere for less, and there's a great chance to hear interesting information at them that you'll forget by the time you use it.
    Last edited by David Weaver; 01-02-2013 at 8:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    I think it's probably:
    * convenience of the internet for information
    * convenience of the internet for finding the lowest price shopping

The only show I've been to is IWF - more of a social trip than a real need. I did get (or ordered) some LV stuff there, and an asturo spray gun that turned out to be cheaper online a month later. Could've skipped it all.

I think I'd see them as entertainment or social gatherings at this point, there's no dearth of information available elsewhere for less, and there's a great chance to hear interesting information at them that you'll forget by the time you use it.
    I plan on attending the IWF in 2014. Wasn't it in Atlanta in August this year?

I don't know, it was about that in '08, which is when I went (and in atlanta). I don't know if you do work for pay, but if you don't, make up a business name for your tag and make yourself out to be a commercial customer.

Some of the booths there gave us the time of day (fuhr, micromesh, felder, martin, minimax, and of course LV come to mind), but at a lot of the sales reps at other booths avoided us because my tag said "none" for company.

My buddy was extremely interested in a timesavers WB sander, but the sales guy literally disappeared mid pitch and went to a different customer - said he had a call or something and immediately went to a different customer. Bizarre, and probably cost them a sale. At a hardware booth, there was no commercial customer in sight, no customer at all, and same buddy asked the sales guy about a couple of the types of hardware and when he figured out it was just a general question for one kitchen - same thing - he disappeared with a bizarre excuse.

The martin, minimax and felder guys were all excellent, though, especially the martin guys.

I am going to the Eastern States Expo in West Springfield on Jan 11-13 for the woodworking show. I have been going for three years in a row now.
    Speakers Jim Heavey from WWM, Roland Johnson FWW, along with a couple of other speakers will be there.
    Here in the East the shows are well attended in fact its hard to move sround at times. you can pick up all kinds of speciality woods, get your hands on Veritas Tools all kinds of tools are there with a bargin area of various hand tools. I always learn something, last year I got to play with "cold bend wood" and saw a neat bandsaw tune up demonstration. These have been very well attended and I am looking forward to going. I usually pick up small items from Peachtree supply and avoid shipping costs. Is this the same outfit running the shows where you guys are?
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 01-06-2013 at 12:22 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Have any of you ever attended the Woodworking Shows?

Here is the link: twws-test.businesscatalyst.com/attendees/seminars.htm

My father and I attended the woodworking expo in November located in Covington, Kentucky and found it to be a major disappointment in terms of the classes and retailers. It was also very expensive. One presenter spent nearly an hour discussing how to stand and hold one's arm to act in harmony with the wood. Another one talked for ninety minutes about glue choices instead of providing a simple handout to read.

I am hoping not to duplicate that endeavor but see the cost of these shows is only $10, not $200. Any experiences with these shows?

Thanks
    I've only ever paid $5-$10 to get into these shows. The paid classes and/or seminars were more expensive than the same class taught by the same instructor elsewhere (TWS gets a cut). If you're going to a show, go to IWS. TWS is OK if you're looking for show discounts on specific items. Not all vendors have show discounts.

I went to the WOA show in Cincinnati for the last three years. The first year it was fantastic. Many handtool vendors that I had never talked to before. The show has had more of the carnival junk the last three years. I was hoping to talk with Matt Bickford and Larry Clark this year but neither were there. I also noticed that Tools for Working Wood did not show last year. The SAPFM was also absent. LV and LN were there I still learn from them. LV had 10% off and free shipping. I may go to the Amana Iowa show this Spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Stewart View Post
    I went to the WOA show in Cincinnati for the last three years. The first year it was fantastic. Many handtool vendors that I had never talked to before. The show has had more of the carnival junk the last three years. I was hoping to talk with Matt Bickford and Larry Clark this year but neither were there. I also noticed that Tools for Working Wood did not show last year. The SAPFM was also absent. LV and LN were there I still learn from them. LV had 10% off and free shipping. I may go to the Amana Iowa show this Spring.
    I was at the WOA show in Covington with my father. The classes were expensive ($195 for the day) and not very good. I heard Roland speak at another show a while back. He was good so it's worth the drive to Indianapolis to hear him again. I will skip the WOA show next year, and I live in Covington.

IWF and woodworking in america are the good shows left.

IWF was in Atlanta last August. It was better than the previous show by quite a bit, but it's not back to it's usual splendor. The economy and the woodworking industry just isn't going to come roaring back I'm afraid. It's too tied to the housing market, and we all know how that is - or at least anyone who has been paying the slightest bit of attention should.

As for the Woodworking show, the last one in Atlanta was also better than the previous one. I think they are trying to bring it back up to snuff and attract more vendors. We'll see how it is this year. I know I thoroughly enjoyed my time helping out in the Craft Supplies USA booth. I was tired at the end of that shift though... I'd go to this show just for the free classes. I think many of them are well worth it.

I sure wouldn't pay a bunch of money to attend one of these things. Even the IWF is pretty inexpensive if you register early enough. I don't think we've ever paid more than $10-15 for entry...
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain