Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spray finish in a can

Spray finish in a can

I may get skewered for asking this question, but here goes. I have heard that various finishes can be applied with an aerosol can. Can you get a smooth and consistent finish with these products on small projects such as clocks or book ends? How easy are they to use? Finally, any particular brands to recommend or stay away from? I usually brush on poly or shellac on most of my projects, but small/complicated items can be difficult to brush well and involve an undue amount of cleanup/prep. I plan to build a formal spray room and get a spray gun, but that project is at least a year off.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Yes, with some practice. I have sprayed many small projects with spray can lacquer with great results. Not so much with spray poly. The trick with lacquer is to apply many light coats, never apply it heavily. Lacquer dries in minutes, you can apply several coats in a single day.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Deft makes a good spray lacquer in a rattle can. Lowes usually has it.

Yes, spray can finishes can provide decent results for small projects with practice for good technique. As always, you need to thoroughly shake the can before use, make sure both the finish, the workpiece and the spraying environment is at appropriate temperatures and that you have good ventilation. You may also find it convenient to use a "trigger-handle" to both hold the spray-bomb and to release the spray for better control than your finger can deliver. So buy some spray can finish and practice on properly prepared scrap...it's worth that investment to insure good results on your "real" project pieces.

BTW, I often use spray can shellac to deal with that step on small projects to save me a gun-cleaning iteration.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yes, I have gotten good results with both lacquer and poly from a spray can. I used to paint cars in another life so I had no learning curve. Main thing is to have ample light available to reflect off the surface as you spray so you can be sure you are getting an even wet coat.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    You may also find it convenient to use a "trigger-handle" to both hold the spray-bomb and to release the spray for better control than your finger can deliver.
    Thanks Jim. I picked up some Deft today. Where can I find one of these trigger-handles? I checked Rockler but no luck. Lowes?

There is a company called Preval that makes an interesting line of products for situations like Jims. I've never used them but might try. It seems like you could have the convenience of a spray can but not be limited by the availability of 'prepackaged' finishes. It seems like you could spray about anything that could be thinned "to the viscosity of light oil". A couple choices-

http://www.eastwood.com/spra-tool-ae...FQWnnQod32MAvw

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...FQqe4AodB2QAUw

I haven't used either but the Rockler Preval product has been around for a number of years so I'd assume it works. Does sound like it won't spray 'latex'

ABSOLUTELY. In fact, I think clocks and small turned work are the ideal application for spray can finish. Like a lot of the posters below, my favorite is Deft Finish (Spray lacquer). I like it for several reasons:

1) Levels beautifully - better than shellac in a spray can, IMHO.
    2) Relatively cheap
    3) Available at most Borg's or BigBlue's.
    4) Available in all 3 sheens. However, I'm partial to Semigloss or satin. They hide minor imperfections better.
    5) Can go over shellac or oil if you choose to pre-seal or color.
    6) Tip doesn't clog. This is probably the biggest challenge in using rattle cans. Once the tip clogs even a smidge, the mist does not evenly atomize, and you (read, I) get some droplets.
    7) Is surprisingly durable. It doesn't show rings or watermarks as shellac can.
    8) It can be easily repaired should you ever need it. Light sand, and remist.

If Deft came in a Magnum size, I'd use it for everything.

One note: the big key to making this type of finish work is doing MANY thin coats. 2-3 swift passes at a time, then let it dry for a few minutes. Any more and you risk drips. Patience.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 01-02-2013 at 9:11 AM.

IMHO, Behlen makes the absolute best lacquer spray bomb. They used to call it "Buffcote" but they recently changed the name to "Smooth Coat". With 6-8 light coats, it produces one of those "stare deep down into it" finishes. You can get it at Shellac.net and Grizzly. Here is the info from Behlen's catalog:

Smooth Coat Lacquer

Smooth Coat Aerosol Lacquer contains waxes
    that provide dazzling results for all types of
    fine furniture and interior woodwork. This
    unique lacquer delivers a very soft look and
    feel that will “wow” you and is formulated
    to give a hand rubbed effect right out of the
    spray can. The slightly amber appearance of
    Smooth Coat Lacquer also adds to the patina
    of the wood. Smooth Coat Lacquer offers
    quick dry and quick build along with exceptional flow
    and leveling. Smooth Coat Lacquer looks great over
    stained wood or as a beautiful natural finish. Formerly
    called Buffcote. Net Wt. 13 oz.

• Conventional VOC formulation

• 15.1% solids by volume for faster build, comparable to
    a spray gun

• Perfect for interior furniture, antiques or architectural
    woodwork

B103-030 Satin
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Please let me add that if you are going to spray Deft or any other lacquer product...you need to be even more careful with ventilation and personal respiration protection. Don't spray these in your house...the fumes are nasty. Aside from the humans and fire hazzard, some small animals (like birds) can die from exposure to the fumes.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The Preval sprayers work fine for small projects. But I wouldn't consider them for serious (read big) pieces.

Please heed Jim's advice regarding lacquer's fumes. Proper ventilation / respirators / etc. Nasty stuff indeed.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

A major issue with spray can finishes is that they contain only a very small amount of solids. Solids are what is left on the surface after the solvents have evaporated. To atomize the finish at the low pressure of a spray can, the finish must be highly thinned. This means that multiple coats must be applied to build up a film thickness that will be protective. Other than that, spray can finishes can be a cost and time effective way to finish smaller projects.
    Howie.........

Thanks guys. I'm eager to do some spraying. I found the trigger handle that Jim mentioned at Lee Valley.

14. Helps to use a spray can equipped with a fan nozzle. Easier to get good overlap pattern. Echo the post re: using the trigger handle.

Ditto to all said----many quick coats as opposed to a slowly applied thick one.

Deft is super pungent and the fumes will make you dizzy and/or give you a headache. If I have to spray in an enclosed area (Hey, if it's winter and you've got to finish something, you might have to), make sure there are no heaters on. I wait to do the spraying until the very last thing. As soon as I'm through spraying, I'm outta there. The same thing applies if you apply Deft with a brush--bad fumes! If the temp lets you do the stuff outside, that's a better place to spray Deft. Just sayin.....
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith