Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em.......

As someone that enjoys turning wood that has natural "defects", I have to say that the one thing that scares me most is cracks that appear to go all the way across the wood even if they don't appear to go all the way through. In the picture that Leo put the arrows on pointing out the cracks I worry most about the cracks that are on the outside (where the bark used to be) and run all the way across the wood. When I used to split wood to burn I looked for those because I knew it wouldn't take much of a hit with the maul to break it in half there. The same principle applies when it's spinning on the lathe, it's not going to take much to split the rest of the way through. But in my experience, the wood that has caused my most scary moments was wood that I didn't even suspect to have a problem. I have a 3/4" thick particle board shelf above my lathe that has a chunk out of it like a bear bit it. It's a reminder of a piece of elm crotch I was turning into a shallow bowl. It came apart revealing a bark inclusion that was inside the wood that I didn't see at all in the blank. But I still could have prevented it if I would have stopped every few minutes to see how things were progressing. On this piece I remember I was thinking how cool it was that I was hogging out yard long curlies and roughing that bowl like a wild man. You just shouldn't do that. Turning can be inherently dangerous even when all the precautions are taken. But many close calls have made me a believer in the slower and more cautious approach. Even with wood that looks solid as a rock.

Rodger; Thanks for this thread. I have first hand knowlege of how quik this can happen. I was going to post this last spring but never got around to it.
    This is a chunk of box elder crouch. I did see a void on one side but didn't think it went all the way through. Well as you can see it did. Now the point I want to make here is, Where is the "OUT OF THE LINE OF FIRE"? When this chunk came apart I was turning slow and I was off to the side. What happened was it came apart and It didn't come straight off the lathe. If you look at the crack you can see that it is not straight across. When it came apart it came out on an angle, and you can guess where I was standing. The chunk hit me right in the middle of my face mask. It bounced of the mask and hit me in the chest hard enough it left quit a knot.
    I do want to thank all of you guys. I was wearing my face mask and standing where I thought I was out of danger. I was turning pretty slow so it could have been a lot worse.
    Tahnks again for the reminder....
    SteveDSCN0170.jpgDSCN0172.jpg

I had this happen to me with some curly maple glue up I was turning, I touched my scraper to the edge to even it up a bit and a catch on the figure and WHAM exploded ! Worst part was I had already sanded it and was touching up the rim edge a little.....

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...and&highlight=
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

The things I watch for are wind shake (I have found two so far) and spiral cracks. I have found two trees with this really cool crack that spirals up the tree. Some of the less obvious defects is why I actually use the guard on the lathe when I rough out or have a need to stand in the line of fire. It might not be the best protection, but it does more when it is in position on the lathe than lying on the floor in some obsure corner. I also use the guard when I am making the a bowl round again after drying. I lift it out of the way for the finish cuts sanding.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author