Grizzly Tracksaw

It was only a matter of time ….
    Who’s getting one?

Here’s the link online:
    http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2013/Main/248
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Wow. I'm going to make a pilgrimage to the Bellingham Grizzly tomorrow. I'll be sure to check that out and report back.

Do you have a festool to compare it too? If that track is teh same that is going to be huge! The accessory kit will be hot for sure!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

oh wow. This is interesting.

I would be very interested in that if it's less that $250...

Same Chinese-made one Scheppach and many others have been selling in EU. Might want to read the reviews before proceeding.

http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/STC-...Saw-with-Rails

If you wait, HF will have it soon enough. Probably for even less...
    Last edited by Peter Kelly; 01-02-2013 at 3:59 AM. Reason: link

Looks like a track saw just might be in my future! $230 plus shipping from Grizzly.

If the rail fits a Festool and they start producing them, Festool will be in trouble similar to when Fein's patent expired on the oscillating tools.

I have the Festool track saw, but if these saws would work on the Festool rails, I would consider getting one for cutting material that I will not cut with the festool saws, such as cement board.

I see that Grizzly has a 55" rail & the Scheppach has 2 25" rails.

I am going to order the accessory kit from Grizzly to see if it will work with the Festool rails. The Grizzly kit has an anti tip feature that Festool should have added long ago.

Whether or not they'll work is one thing, but the rail is definitely different. Festool has a t-track facing up on the far side--Grizzly's faces down.

I wonder about replacement blades? Replacement blades are well priced but how do they cut? It looks like the blade is 160mm or 6.29" diameter with a 20mm arbor (.787"). A 5/8" arbor hole could be reamed to 20 mm but are there 6 1/4" blades available? Or will the saw accomodate larger blades? Can the riving knife be moved to accomodate a larger blade? The world wonders.

Edit: It says there's "5/8" between the blade and the wall". So it may take a larger blade, at least a 6 1/2" which Freud has available and I'm sure others have them as well.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 01-02-2013 at 9:37 AM.

Not me. Got a bum bandsaw last year, and a bum 4 jaw chuck for my lathe for Christmas. Gonna use the Grizzly catalog as a fire starter from now on. Too tired of having Grizzly service on speed dial.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    If the rail fits a Festool and they start producing them, Festool will be in trouble similar to when Fein's patent expired on the oscillating tools.
    That was a joke right? Festool will never compete in the low end market of tools. They have lots of tools in the stable and it is a system and geared to the professional who depends on the tools to make money. I've got grizzly tools and I've got some festool. They are not cheap, but for a reason. I doubt they are losing any sleep.

14. Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Whether or not they'll work is one thing, but the rail is definitely different. Festool has a t-track facing up on the far side--Grizzly's faces down.
    It's not at all clear whether or not the difference will be material, i.e. whether a clamp will fit in the same way on that far t-track. I'm not even sure I ever use the upward-facing track on my rail, except on fixtures which happen to ride around that track. It's possible that the downward facing Grizzly track could still work with the same fixtures while pointing in the different direction, if the sides of the track are of the same height and width, and the two tracks separated by the same distance, as that of the Festool.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    I very much doubt Festool are concerned with losing sales unless they are are suddenly vying for the low-end market. Like I said, this same saw has been sold in Europe and other places for some years now under the brand name "Woodstar" as well as many others. It isn't new, just newly badged as Grizzly.