Thread: Slick splitter design

Slick splitter design

Here's the splitter I use in my Unisaw.

The first photo shows the splitter in the splitter mode. It is a steel pin right behind the saw blade. The pin diameter is the kerf width. The splitter prevents the kerf from closing on the rear of the saw blade, which is a primary cause of kickbacks.

The second photo shows the splitter when it is disabled -- for instance to cut a dado. To disable the splitter, I flip the table saw insert over. You can barely see the bottom of the steel pin, left of the blade. The great thing about this design is that it takes only two seconds to enable or disable the splitter, and it takes no tools. Somehow, safety devices that require tools to install, or have loose pieces to get lost, or take too long to install -- well, they eventually stop being used. This splitter, because it is so quick, does get used.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Built into the insert.......nice!

The only bad thing I see is maybe it's too far back with the blade low? Any way to get it closer to the blade slot? I still wish I could get a riving knife on my JET!

Jamie.

I like it!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Ohhhhh Booooy!!!!

I like it! Very simple design that is fast and cheap. Does the job and hardly presents a presence. Lastly, it does interfere with the accuracy of the setup or of the machine.

Very Nice!

I'm using the biesemeyer splitter and shop made ZCI's and its pretty much the only splitter I'd consider using. I like the splitter to be stout and securely bolted to the saw. Most throat plates are NOT securely bolted to the saw, so any system that relies on attaching the splitter to them leaves me uncomfortable. The splitter is there after all for the worst case scenarios, and I have seen mine stay put when tension in wood released rather violently. Shut off the saw, pull things apart, the bies splitter stays put. Its not the cheapest option, but its way cheaper than the surgical co-pay on my medical plan, and the anti kick back pauls work well too. Worth a look.