Thread: One down, two to go

Cool One down, two to go

for a refresher course. i have three larger planes ( larger than a block plane?) that need a little "re-freshing". Not really a "Restoration", just more of a cleanup, and sharpen up thingy. ( WARNING! None of these are by either L/N, nor L/V) The terrible trio?SDC14030.jpgSDC14031.jpg "hey, good looking" Like I said, these need a little refreshing. The Union #5A is first up, I'll get to the other two as I go this week. I stripped things down to just parts. I have a small wire cup (Brass) about 1" in diameter in the drill press. I got rid of all the crud, both the kind you can see, and a bunch underneath the parts. Handles ( NOT Rosewood, it begims with an M) got a bath in BLO, three times! Can you say DRY? Frog , and all the bolts got a good cleaning as wellSDC14033.jpgSDC14034.jpg iron was flattened back up, and sharpened back up. BLO was dried up, so time to put things back together..SDC14032.jpg at least the handles look better? Put the iron back in, adjusted everything to make a cut or two, in some Hickory I am trying to joint the edges on...SDC14035.jpgand made some MOXXON TP.

One down, i have already started on #2. And, IF anybody wants me to, I'll post pictures of THAT one, tomorrow. A Resurrected DE#6c , that's the one in the back of the three plane picture.

Blog Entries
    Looking good on the Union. How wide is the 5A?

The location of the disk on the lateral says that is an earlier model.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Steven,you are going to be run out of your shop by the ever burgeoning number of planes you attract!!

Shop has a strict limit of 22 planes IN the shop. Extras fine their way to Ebay. Trying to keep it at 2 per size, other than Block planes, I think they are about like rabbets. I leave two block planes alone for awhile, and next thing I know, I have seven.....

Width of the iron is 2-1/4" width of the base is 2-5/8" wide. That ain't a Rosewood handle, either. I think the name of the wood begins with a "M"? Figure this MIGHt be a "type 2" ???

Doors are creaking,bulging-------BLAM!!!! Like the jawbreaker Mythbusters microwaved!!!!

latest inventory of planes i have: 6 block planes, 3 #3 smoothers, 3 #4 smoothers, 3 #5 Jack planes, 1 #5A Super jack plane, 2 #6 Fore planes, 1 #7 Jointer, and 1 #8c Jointer. Total: 20 Also in inventory: a #33 Windsor Scrub plane. There is another #4 on the way through the mail, MAJOR rehab going on with that one. So, I think I have enough room for 22 planes.

Plane number two is now done. A DE#6c that was a rebuild last year. It was a rusty, broken in half wreck when it showed up in the mail. Got it rebuilt, put it to work in the shop. Now, the iron was getting dull, not making shavings all the way across. Getting real grungy, too. Time to "refresh" it. Took things apart, down to just a pile of parts...SDC14037.jpg base was covered in crud. Wire cup took away all the nasty stuff. That frog came from the DE6 i had to rebuild. It is a Union frog. The lever cap had some sort of sticky stuff all over it. The iron, with a "Shark" logo on it, was reground square to the edge. Itwas also out of flat in the middle. Flattened the iron, and ground a decent 25 degree bevel on it. it went back upstairs and rode a few stones until it was sharp. All bolts were cleaned up, base was given a fresh coat of black. Handles got a few coats of BLO. All the braas was shined up. Right hand thread on the depth adjuster wheel. SLOWLY got things back together..SDC14039.jpgSDC14040.jpg and I took the plane back down to the shop for a test drive on some Hickory edge grain, ( I don't cuddle planes)SDC14038.jpg We have Moxxon TP! The third plane was just a sharpening, and light clean up. IF you want, I can post a few shots of it. It is a Savage #6 (smooth bottom) that for some reason has a type 2 or 3 Union Frog. It is the frog that goes with the plane.