Thread: gloat

gloat

Festool 2200 router is in the mail! I have more routers than I want to count, but none with decent dust collection and the older I get the less I can stand dust in my lungs and on the floor. I just hope my rigid shop vac works well with it.

Hey Bob.

Good choice.. I got one recently .. heck of a router.. Very heavy duty, very well thought out..

That's a super nice one. Santa must really like you!

Been ogling one of those myself, way better than a lump of coal!

Went back and forth between the 2200 and 1400, but finally decided the 2200 would be a better complement to what I already have. I have a 3 hp pc in my router table, but sometimes you need to bring the router to the workpiece and all of my others are 2 hp bosches---nice routers but under powered for some operations and bad dust collection. Did you get the assessory kit? I couldn't justify it yet. What are you using for a vac?

Yeah, I got the accessory kit. I haven't used the accessories much ..

I have the 1400 as well.. The OF2200 is like twice the machine.. At first you think the weight is going to be a problem, but then realize the weight is an asset. With the soft start, and the mass of the router, you can run really big router bits safely with the OF2200..

Rick,

This is supposed to be Bob's gloat, isn't it....?

Haha .. It is Bob's gloat but he hasnt taken delivery yet .. so I am feeding his anticipation..

Looks like a handheld shaper. I have the OF1010EQ which looks like a dremel compared to the 2200.

Bob

You're going to like it.
    It is the smoothest router I've ever used, virtually no high frequency vibration transmitted to the hands. While it may seem heavy and unwieldly, once it's in use it just kinda floats. Dust collection is excellent, but at the end of the day it's still a router, so expect some dust and debris.
    Look up the You Tube videos on it, because unless you've used one already, it makes a lot of noise on start up that sounds like the bearings are trashing themselves, but the noise is the ratcheting pawls, and not bearings.
    I like mine, and will be getting the accessory kit for it. I want the edge guides, and the router should have come with the offset base. You're going to want that base in pretty short order.
    It also doesn't ship with both a 1/2" and 1/4" collet. Mine came only with the 1/2" collet. I needed the 1/4" right away, so it added some extra $$$$ at at the register.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 01-04-2013 at 1:51 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Dang, I knew I should have gotten the base widener! Just got noticed that the router was delivered. I will be leaving work early today, no doubt. The only accessories I ordered were a couple of rings (guide bushings) and the guide bushing base plate.

By biggest concern in purchasing a festool router was the inability to center bits within the collar of the guide bushing. It is curious that festool does make that an easy process.

Bob

The router comes with the guide bushing plate. Standard PC bushings fit the plate and the amount of "wozzle" is going to be measured in the 1/000 th's. It's a pretty solid hookup. There would also be no reason a standard PC bushing center finder won't work.
    You'll need to remove the dust shroud to do it, just to get at the bushing with your hand, and then put the dust shroud back in.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 01-04-2013 at 2:16 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)