Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Building my shop

Building my shop

Here is a Sketchup drawing of my future shop. 40x50x15. Door to be 13T x 12W. Mueller bolt up building kit. I requested U panels for the walls and PBR panels for the roof. Light stone color with Cocoa Brown Trim.

Note: I started this on Dec 7, so some of this is from my archives. I'll post until I get it up to present date.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by David A Anderson; 01-04-2013 at 2:08 PM.

I had to establish electricity, so I bought a pole for $25, a meter socket for $45, 200amp main disconnect $135. I had the riser and service with 3/0 wire saved from a demo project, so I used it as is. That saved me about $400. Bought a permit, inspected, and passed.

Code requires 2/0 copper minimum for service with a #4 ground for 200amp. I also installed a grounding bushing on the offset nipple between socket and panel with #4 wire. Earth ground wire is protected in plastic conduit to ground level. If you use metal conduit, code requires bonding bushings on both ends. Didn't want to do that. The grounding bushing wire doesn't show in meter loop picture 003.jpg, but it was added after I took the shot. It is shown in "meter loop revised" picture. Neutral and ground are bonded and cabinet bond is connected. This is required at the main disconnect panel only.

The panel is an RF panel. F = feed through. It is for a proposed future house if I decide to build later.

Site pictures. Let's start digging

I got the trench for the sewer lines dug today. Slope is 1/4" per foot with the trench depth and minus 20" below concrete grade at the toilet flange stub. In the 3rd picture you can see the laser I used to establish a level line to get the ditch straight and reference my 1/4" slope. That laser is the handiest tool I have to get things level and square.

I dug about 100' of trench today with my old Case 580B backhoe. She's a good ole girl. Didn't break any underground pipes or hit anything. City should be there next week to give me a sewer tap. $1300, ouch!

Building permit $303. Sewer tap $1300. $400 for slab engineering. Mueller engineered building $17300. The plumbers came today and laid the sewer line about 130' of pipe. Time and materials. It took 3.5hrs. They bought the permit. City won't let me plumb or wire since this is not my homestead. I'm wiring using a friends' license, and he pulled the permit. Don't have any plumber friends. Don't know the plumbing cost yet.

Bought $1700 in rebar this morning. I'll need more. I have a friend helping me and we made beam steel all afternoon and will resume tomorrow. I plan on laying all my steel and forms myself and will hire a finishing crew. Figured about 64yds of concrete at about $80 ea. This building is going to cost around $35K. Being in the city and dealing with their rules is really running up the cost.
    Last edited by David A Anderson; 01-04-2013 at 4:51 PM.

Plumbers came and put in sewer line. Inspection failed because they put the back to back clean outs in backwards. (These are really an RV dump adjacent my driveway.) I told them it was wrong, but they said that is the way they always do it. Inspector called them and they came right out and turned them around. Arrgh, why do I have to pay for this? Because the law says it MUST be done by a licensed plumber because it is not my homestead. I was boiling mad all Friday afternoon.

Still waiting on sewer tap from City. I will just let the pipe end sit there until the get it done.

Nice posts, David. I look forward to following your progress! :-)
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

And here is my green tag from City to finally cover this up. Got it on Dec 15.

December 22. Putting up forms. I closed in 3 sides by Tuesday afternoon. I began digging beam trenches after lunch. I tried a mini excavator, but it just didn't work the way I wanted to, so I returned and started working with manuel, er, my shovel I mean.

I've been a mole all week. This is how far I've dug up to Sat Dec 23. All intermediate beams and 3 of the perimeter beams. Boy am I sore.
    Last edited by David A Anderson; 01-04-2013 at 4:45 PM.

January 4. Pre pour inspection is passed. Underground electrical is passed. We are ready to pour. I hired a finishing crew to pour it for $1200. Should do it next Tues. Total cost will be about $8000. I am ready for this phase to end. It has been one month since I started. I've got muscles now Inspector gigged me for not wrapping the sewer line where exposed in the concrete beams. I should have known that. We do that when I'm on my volunteer building jobs. I told him I'd do it, and he left.

Interesting to see your progress. Do you live near the building?

Blog Entries
    Nice to see progress pics. Where are you located? (go to "My Profile", hit the "about me" tab and fill in "location", then it will show on each post)

David....You are making good progress! Enjoy the process!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Hi Dave,

Really nice shop. I would love to have a shop that big. All of your hard work will sure pay off. I am enjoying your progress photo's.

Sam