Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soft Start Router speed control

Soft Start Router speed control

Well I recently picked up a PC 7519 single speed 3.25 hp. router with a PC 4518 I think compact router. I wanted the 7519 to put into my router table to replace my Bosch 1617 but I honestly didn't realize or notice that the big router I grabbed was a single speed model. So now I am trying to figure out how to adjust the speed of this monster router to use it in my router table. I looked at PC parts to see if I could just purchase the parts but that is cost prohibitive so then I looked at after market speed controllers of which there are many but all them say cannot be used with soft start router motors? Are there any soft start compatible speed controllers out there? Or is this just a matter of electronic circuitry not allowing you to vary the speed of a soft start router motor? I mean PC makes the 7518 model router that has variable speed built in so you would think that someone out there has something on the market to vary the speed of the soft start single speed routers? Any tips as always are highly appreciated.

Blog Entries
    Any chance of a return so you can try again? Seriously, why pay that much and then have to cobble together an external control? It may be that the external controls I have used have been poor (actually, it is probably that ;-) but, they were not pleasant to use and did not offer a soft start. JessEm offers an external speed control along with the Milwaukee 5625 but, I don't see the control alone. I believe the control is just a re-housing of the internal 5626 controls. Sorry, not much help. I'd try to return it and get what you really wanted.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Any chance of a return so you can try again? Seriously, why pay that much and then have to cobble together an external control? It may be that the external controls I have used have been poor (actually, it is probably that ;-) but, they were not pleasant to use and did not offer a soft start. JessEm offers an external speed control along with the Milwaukee 5625 but, I don't see the control alone. I believe the control is just a re-housing of the internal 5626 controls. Sorry, not much help. I'd try to return it and get what you really wanted.
    I'd see if a return was possible too. I think the issue with external controls and a router that has soft start built in is the router has electronics that create the soft start. Those electronics mess with the external control electronics. Kind of like the issue where you can't use a variable speed wall control for a ceiling fan that has multiple speeds. They just aren't compatible.
    If you can return it, Ken Fitzgerald just posted in the past couple days that Woodcraft has the 7518 motor only for 254.99 http://www.woodcraft.com/category/20...er-motors.aspx That would probably be your best bet.
    I have a PC-8529 variable speed plunge router that the built in speed control died on. Seems that it was a very common problem. Mine died after only having about 3 hours of use on it over a couple years, and of course, the warranty was out. Replacement of the controls were over 100 bucks, and PC couldn't tell me if the problem had been corrected so they would last longer. Result, I pulled the electronics out of it and now have a single speed plunge router without the soft start. If I wanted to purchase an external speed controller for it, I could use it. But, I don't use the router enough to justify that expense. In fact, I use my Hitachi fixed base router I got as a free rebate with my Hitachi slider for hand held use now. Wish I could find a plunge base for it at a reasonable price!! Jim.
    Last edited by Jim O'Dell; 01-04-2013 at 3:01 PM. Reason: correction
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Returning is not an option as I got both the routers used for only $125 which was a smoking good deal in my opinion with about $500 worth of router bits for another $100 so I will have to figure something out.

Have not seen specific use .I see the variable speed as only being a necessity with large diameter ,and steel cutters.

I don't have that router but I went to ereplacement parts and looked at the 7519 parts diagram. The diagram looks like the switch and soft start module are all one . Reading some comments on the parts list page, it's possible to bypass the soft start module so perhaps the diagram is unclear. I'm using an external speed control on a P-C 8529. That was pretty easy because the soft start/speed control are separate from the on/off switch.

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/sof...e-p-61165.html

If it's impractical to bypass the switch/ soft start module, would it be possible or practical to replace the switch with a plain rocker switch for a 7518 and remove the soft start module entirely? Then you could use an external speed control. I'm a little bit skeptical of external speed controls because I don't see a feedback mechanism to maintain RPM under varying loads. Mine works under no or light loads but I haven't tried it with heavy loads like a horizontal panel raiser bit.

You can remove the soft start module in the 7519 and keep the original on/off switch. I did it to mine so I could use an external speed control.

I have no problem using the 3-1/2" dia. panel raising bits with the external speed control and that's doing it in only 2 passes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bienlein View Post
    You can remove the soft start module in the 7519 and keep the original on/off switch. I did it to mine so I could use an external speed control.

I have no problem using the 3-1/2" dia. panel raising bits with the external speed control and that's doing it in only 2 passes.
    Sound like Alan has a possible solution. I would take an SMC member's direct experience over almost anything on this.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Not a hijack, but I have 3 speed ceiling fans with wall mounted speed switches all over my home.
    Never heard that they wouldn't work. Mine sure do.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Sound like Alan has a possible solution. I would take an SMC member's direct experience over almost anything on this.
    Sounds like the most probable one. Mike Goetzke did the 5625 relocation but it is specific to that router. It does make me wonder if you could look up the different parts between the two, and add or swap the components to change it to the speed controlled model.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
    Not a hijack, but I have 3 speed ceiling fans with wall mounted speed switches all over my home.
    Never heard that they wouldn't work. Mine sure do.
    Bill
    Bill, I should have been more specific, you shouldn't use a light dimmer switch for ceiling fans. A ceiling fan is an A/C motor designed to run at specific voltage and current, lights have a filament that creates a constant resistance. You shouldn't try to put a resistance changing device on your table saw motor either. Remember, an A/C motor is an electrical.magnetic device. Now, if you want to change the speed of an A/C motor, I need to use a variable frequency drive. They don't change current, voltage, magnetic field, or any other factor other than frequency. U.S. power runs at 60Hz. Change that to 50Hz and the motor slows down. That's why you see them for 3 phase equipment. I suspect they could also be used/built for single phase units. But kind of overkill for a ceiling fan. Changing speed via changing resistance for a D/C motor is perfectly acceptable.
    Now, if you are using a three speed wall switch for a three speed ceiling fan (ie: a ceiling fan with 3 separate windings designed to turn the motor at 3 different speeds, in effect 3 motors in one housing) then that is perfectly fine.
    I should note, I'm not an electrician nor am I an expert on A/C motors. This is just what I've picked up over the years as I've tried to do things and found out they weren't the right way to do them!!
    Back to our regularly scheduled thread. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bienlein View Post

Fantastic Alan thanks so much for the info I will look into removing the soft start module and then getting an external speed controller. Can you tell me which one you are using?

Quote Originally Posted by Randal Stevenson View Post
    Sounds like the most probable one. Mike Goetzke did the 5625 relocation but it is specific to that router. It does make me wonder if you could look up the different parts between the two, and add or swap the components to change it to the speed controlled model.
    I checked on the cost for the 7518 switch to replace the 7519 switch and add the speed control but they want $188 for the module for the 7518 so that pretty much ended that idea.

Thanks Jim.
    I was just a bit wonderin'.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mayo View Post
    I checked on the cost for the 7518 switch to replace the 7519 switch and add the speed control but they want $188 for the module for the 7518 so that pretty much ended that idea.
    Whaaa? Alan says you can remove the soft start module and keep the rocker switch so that makes the most sense. If for some reason you can't do that, here's a rocker switch for a 7518 for $27.47.

Rocker Switch

Part Number: 873227

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/roc...h-p-61136.html