Thread: computer table design ideas

computer table design ideas

I am getting ready to embark on a project to build a small computer table to house my laptop. Don't need a lot of surface area just enough for a laptop and perhaps a few shelves on the side for loose paper etc. Any favorite designs or pictures will be appreciated.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

I remember seeing a computer desk that housed the lap top in a drawer that was right under the desks top. The drawer front was on hinges so it could be "folded" down when useing the laptop. I think it was in Fine Woodworking a number of years ago. You might want to plan something like that.
    Pete Lamberty

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Lamberty
    I remember seeing a computer desk that housed the lap top in a drawer that was right under the desks top. The drawer front was on hinges so it could be "folded" down when useing the laptop. I think it was in Fine Woodworking a number of years ago. You might want to plan something like that.
    Interesting idea, I don't have any plans to use an external monitor so a hide away laptop may not be needed. I just want a table on which I can put the laptop and keep it powered on, with some small shelving on one side for loose paper and small stationary.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

Maybe along these lines?

You didn't give a furniture style so I took a stab.

Dave, that looks really neat.

Dave --
    Why put that shelf where it will whack your shins? If you need a shelf, I'd put it high enough that you can slide your thighs underneath it. Or better, place it high and make it a drawer.
    And me, I like enough space on the desk top around the computer that I can have other materials around -- books, magazines, a mouse, a coffe cup, a phone, wood samples, or whatever. So I'd make the table somewhat larger than you show.

Jamie

Zahid, thanks. It was just a start.

Jamie, I admit the shelf is a shin breaker. I was just trying to give Zahid a start. He asked for a small table with room for his laptop and a few papers. I couldn't work on a space that small either. I too would need space for my coffee of Coke and some papers and stuff.

I did think the bottom shelf might be useful for a printer maybe. I was also thinking that the top could be arranged to slide out during use if there is enough weight down low.