Thread: Lie Nielsen Workbench vise handles

Lie Nielsen Workbench vise handles

I purchased a LN workbench in Aug 2011 after Chris Schwarz wrote how impressed he was with it in his blog:
    http://www.popularwoodworking.com/wo...lsen-toolworks
    I received it in December 2011 after a long wait. One thing I noticed and that Chris noted in one of his comments was that the vise handles stuck up above the surface of the bench which at times gets in the way of different activities. I noticed that right away after using my bench for a while and gave LN a call. I spoke with Darren at the LN workbench shop. I dealt with Darren before when I ordered my bench...nice guy...anyway I told him about the problem and he told me they were aware of it and were developing a new low profile handle. They were keeping track of everyone who had purchased a bench and would send the new vise handle out once they were ready to go...
    OK fast forward...its been over a year and no new handles from LN. So I called Darren the other day and he said oh sure will get them sent right out...gave him my name and hung up. This afternoon the phone rang and it was a customer rep from LN asking me what credit card they could use to send me out the new vise handles....I said what!! You are joking right? No...she was instructed to charge me for the vise handles...I told them no freaking way...I spent close to $3k for this bench (including freight) and you want to charge me $40 on a bad design?
    I was pissed...LN has always treated me right and I expect better from them! She told me Darren was gone for the day but would check with him on Monday!
    Sorry for the long rant but it just annoyed the heck out of me...must be the new year!!

Jim
    "Your beliefs don't make you a better person...your behavior does."

Jim,

I remember when you ordered this, sorry to hear of it. I'm sure it will be taken care of, my company would never want a customer to be unhappy over $40, and I'm sure LN is even better than my company!
    Anyway it is a beautiful bench and the handle looks great as well.

In the pic below is my handle which is much lower profile but looks pretty ugly. I hope the new LN design keeps the classic look of your existing handle, but I can see that you need it below the top level especially for panels.
    How do you like the end vise?

Pete

Peter,
    The end vise is great...works great, no slop at all...very nice bench...would recommend it if you don't want to craft your own.

Jim

Wow- after dropping 3k they want to quibble about replacing a poor handle design.

This reminds me of when I worked in an industry that supplied high dollar equipment in the pharma-chemical markets. The company I worked for had realized that there were only a few potential customers, and those customers all knew and spoke with each other, so it really was not worth it to play games. High prices, yes, but no games.

That is exactly what the new LN $40 jobs look like. Saw them at a show. Hey, maybe you can send the old ones back for a partial credit? :-)

Posting here is not really my thing but - Lie-Nielsen has always been a high-class company. Here is an email from Deneb Puchalski about this issue:

I just looked at the post you referenced. The gentleman who posted it should
    never have been dealt with in that manner, if someone has an issue with our
    vise handles we will replace the knobs at no charge. We just started using
    the new knobs this fall. This was a simple miscommunication on the part of
    the sales staff. They were not aware that the vise handles were replacing
    the originals when the order went in. I have no idea what happened when they
    communicated directly, but he should have been told, as soon as it became
    obvious that this was a replacement issue, that there was no charge for
    replacing the knobs. If you would not mind posting something about this, I
    think it might be helpful. We do not always get everything right, but we
    strive to make sure that all of our customers are happy. It is unfortunate
    when things like this go public, before we have had a chance to make it
    right.

Thank you,

Deneb Puchalski,
    Lie-Nielsen Toolworks

Got it....just heard back from LN all is good...probably jumped the gun but the representative had me so riled up had to rant somewhere...I apologize to LN for doubting their integrity...they have been great to me and I should have just held off until I heard back...end of story.

Jim

So you bought something were you knew there was a "problem" with the product and then expect to have it corrected for free? I could see being upset about them not following up with their promise after the initial call, but trashing them over something you were aware of pre-purchase is just not right.

Quote Originally Posted by James Conrad View Post
    So you bought something were you knew there was a "problem" with the product and then expect to have it corrected for free? I could see being upset about them not following up with their promise after the initial call, but trashing them over something you were aware of pre-purchase is just not right.
    I don't think this post is fair to the OP, Jim Barret, on a number of counts. The handles are only one small design issue of an otherwise excellent product - not enough to dismiss the entire purchase decision. Schwarz and other posts/resources discussed that LN would be pursing a new handle design before this bench was even sold (so LN even acknowledged the "problem" up front). The OP issued his explanation and resolution 15 minutes before your reply, so I assume it was there for you to see. From the LN note posted above it was LN that got this wrong and how was the OP to assume he needed to talk to someone else to get the correct policy and response? Finally, do we need yet another thread to evolve into arguments, character innuendo and more? So come on, give each other a nice virtual bro-hug and let's move on. We are all here because we enjoy woodworking.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Hawser View Post
    I don't think this post is fair to the OP, Jim Barret, on a number of counts. The handles are only one small design issue of an otherwise excellent product - not enough to dismiss the entire purchase decision. Schwarz and other posts/resources discussed that LN would be pursing a new handle design before this bench was even sold (so LN even acknowledged the "problem" up front). The OP issued his explanation and resolution 15 minutes before your reply, so I assume it was there for you to see. From the LN note posted above it was LN that got this wrong and how was the OP to assume he needed to talk to someone else to get the correct policy and response? Finally, do we need yet another thread to evolve into arguments, character innuendo and more? So come on, give each other a nice virtual bro-hug and let's move on. We are all here because we enjoy woodworking.
    Peter,
    Thanks for your reply..hopefully anyone else who has the original vise handles and are unhappy with them will contact LN and get the new design shipped to them.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Hawser View Post
    Who's arguing? Like I said, I could see some dissatisfaction for the failure on LN to not follow up after the initial promise after purchase, that's not what I see as unfair. Frankly, he's lucky LN is such a reputable company and will address these types of things. My post is pretty clear what I believe is unfair to LN. No arguing, no innuendos.

I received the new low profile vise handles today and installed them. Not as "spiffy" as the original but more functional as you can see from the pictures. As stated the original knobs can get in the way depending on what you are doing on the bench.

So I have a pair of these nice looking vise handles...does anyone want them? They are a total of 16" in length. The "dowel" is 12" and each knob is 2".
    If you want them first PM gets them...you pay shipping which is $10.40 priority mail.
    Paypal or check will work.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Prince Edward Island, Canada's Ocean Playground
    Jim,

I sent you a PM on your kind offer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Erik

Canada's Atlantic Paradise - Prince Edward Island

They are yours.
    Enjoy!

Jim

Anybody else getting the new styles, I'd be interested in the old ones. Leg vises don't mind that higher knob. Pm me if you want to let them go. Sorry I missed that last set.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service