Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can I use my Jet 1642

How can I use my Jet 1642

I finally got around to setting up my Jet 1642 in my basement and found it tripped my GFCI outlets. I googled and found it does that.
    I am installing two new small tool circuits and hoped to leave at least one outlet non-GFCI. But down in "Woodshops" they tell me that is not allowed; all outlets have to be GFCI. Other than the obvious option of doing it right and then just pulling the GFCI, is there a work around?

Must be the 1 1/2 hp? What work around, just pull a dedicated circuit for the lathe. No GFCI allowed for the controller to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Must be the 1 1/2 hp? What work around, just pull a dedicated circuit for the lathe. No GFCI allowed for the controller to work.
    If that is the only solution, I guess it is the only solution; unfortunately in a previous post I was told it was illegal.
    But since half of them are in basements, it must not be taken all that seriously.

The only GFCI circuits in my shop supply power to the de-icer cables on the roof.
    Motorized equipment and GFCIs are not friendly to each other.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I had a similar problem and fixed it by putting a new GFCI in. The older ones seemed to trip too easily.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Check the building code in your area. GFCI's are typically used/required for an outlet within a predetermined distance to a water source. For example...and please, if it's not the case in YOUR area...get over it!!!...in California central valley, it's required within 36" of a water source. They are the weak link in the system, on purpose. If you don't need them in the circuit you're running off of, see if you can change them out.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Blog Entries
    Talk to your local electrical inspector . I do not have any GFCI's in my shop because all my outlets are dedicated for woodworking equipment. Certain receptacles are not required to be GFCI such as a washing machine and refrigerator. The receptacles in my shop were approved by the electrical inspector and I am a retired electrician.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

I would wonder if they are required in a hard wired situation (wire connects to the box through conduit)?

I am an inspector and in most municipalities a dedicated appliance does not require a GFCI protected circuit. That means no other items on the circuit and no duplex outlets. I have seen some municipalities requires hard wiring but that is rare. Really depends how crazy your local authorities are. You could call your local permit inspection office and ask about dedicated appliance circuits.

Good Luck

Alan
    Last edited by Alan Trout; 01-05-2013 at 10:26 PM. Reason: typo

Definitely check with the inspector. When I was finishing my basement shop, my inspector let the GFCI rule slide since he knew it was going to be a dedicated wood shop....
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

If they allow it in your area, the dedicated appliance outlet would be your best bet. IIRC a 1 1/2 HP motor on a 120V line is going to want a 20 amp circuit so chances are you're going to want a dedicated circuit anyway.

I hesitate to suggest this because electrical codes are what they are for good reasons and should be taken seriously.

If all basement outlets MUST be GFCI where you live then you could put the outlet(or use an existing one) where GFCI isn't required then from that point run what would basically amount to an extension cord from the outlet to the lathe. Plug in devices as far as I know are not subject to the same code requirements as permanent wiring. That doesn't mean throw the extension cord down the stairs and call it good, route it neatly down to the lathe's location. Also make sure you use the proper gauge wire for the length of the run and your lathe's amperage requirements.
    Rodney

Depends on where you are. In VA, GFCI's in basements are required only if the area is unfinished. I would classify your area to be finished, so GFCI not required. 2009 VA IRC E3902.5

My 2008 NEC is at the office, but I believe it says the same thing, will check in the morning.

Just call your local inspections office and ask which code section, if any, requires GFCI in a finished basement area.
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

I just went through this a few months ago when having new circuits wired before installing a new lathe. Since it was going to be a few months before getting the new equipment, I had the electrician to wire in both 120 for my existing Jet 1642, and put in a dedicated 220 circuit for the new lathe. The inspector came out and wouldn't sign off on the job until GFCI was installed on the 120 circuit for the lathe and either a separate circuit or a GFCI outlet installed for a freezer. No amount of showing her the problem with operating the lathe on that circuit changed her mind. She said I needed documentation from the manufacturer.
    For the couple of months I was still using the Jet. I just ran an extension cord to the lathe. If I'd had a dedicated circuit run to that box - there would have been no problem.

If you have room in your power panel, have a 4 wire (2 hots, neutral, plus ground) 220v receptacle installed for the lathe. Then make a splitter or buy one designed for generators. they are available at HD, Lowes, etc. Now you have one dedicated circuit for the lathe and one for a power strip for lights, hand drill, etc.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey J Smith View Post
    I just went through this a few months ago when having new circuits wired before installing a new lathe. Since it was going to be a few months before getting the new equipment, I had the electrician to wire in both 120 for my existing Jet 1642, and put in a dedicated 220 circuit for the new lathe. The inspector came out and wouldn't sign off on the job until GFCI was installed on the 120 circuit for the lathe and either a separate circuit or a GFCI outlet installed for a freezer. No amount of showing her the problem with operating the lathe on that circuit changed her mind. She said I needed documentation from the manufacturer.
    For the couple of months I was still using the Jet. I just ran an extension cord to the lathe. If I'd had a dedicated circuit run to that box - there would have been no problem.
    Jeff, it is the same in NEC 210.8A5 However like said many times before check with you local municipality. I know in Texas it depends on the city and which code they have adopted as an ordinance. I have seen some city's that function on 2001 IRC or older codes it all depends.

Alan