Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To soak or not to soak...That is the question...

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Burrell View Post
    OK...you all have to forgive me, but I am a little slow.

In another thread the discussion came up about which waterstones to leave soak and which ones to not. Sooooo...I wanted to know what you all thought was the best way to handle my specific stones. And so I will list them all.

I have (in order of "gritness")...

Sigma Power #400
    King 800/4000 combo
    Sigma Power 1000 (hard)
    King 6000
    Sigma Power 6000
    Bester 8000
    Sigma Power 13000

So there they are. How would you suggest I deal with them individually?
    For my 1000 (hard), 6000, and 13000, I soak indefinitely. They chew up everything I have, they seem to cut better when wet for me, and they leave an edge that doesn't need stropped.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Hawser View Post
    Interesting point Marc. For older chisels and planes I might agree, but ionization does impact the alignment of high carbon steel's crystalline structure resulting in improved edge retention and paring performance in South American hardwood species end grain.

I believe Tormek is coming out with a new water filtering system with ionization options. Rumor has it this will cost only $795. Meanwhile Chris Schwarz has strong opinions on the use of Oglala Aquifer water and its superior performance on under 1235.3072 grit stone soaking, but others here on SMC have discovered evidence that this was documented years ago by the Woodsmith Shop guys who do most of their work in the great plains area. Of course, nobody could stay awake long enough to listen to their presentation.

Okay, I think my little satire has run it's course.
    Thank you. Wine coming out of one's nose is unpleasant. Particularly if one has to wait a couple of minutes to stop laughing before blowing said nose.

Interesting point Marc. For older chisels and planes I might agree, but ionization does impact the alignment of high carbon steel's crystalline structure resulting in improved edge retention and paring performance in South American hardwood species end grain.

I believe Tormek is coming out with a new water filtering system with ionization options. Rumor has it this will cost only $795. Meanwhile Chris Schwarz has strong opinions on the use of Oglala Aquifer water and its superior performance on under 1235.3072 grit stone soaking, but others here on SMC have discovered evidence that this was documented years ago by the Woodsmith Shop guys who do most of their work in the great plains area. Of course, nobody could stay awake long enough to listen to their presentation.

Okay, I think my little satire has run it's course.
    I like this guy!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kornell View Post
    Thank you. Wine coming out of one's nose is unpleasant. Particularly if one has to wait a couple of minutes to stop laughing before blowing said nose.
    Strangely, it had the same effect on me. For the record coffee coming out of ones nose is also unpleasant.
    Paul

I have 2 stones I bought from Lee valley that have been soaking since the 80s - hasn't harmed them in any way. All of the others, from 200 on up to 8000 have been soaking for at least 3 or 4 years with no sign of a problem. All are in the same tupperware container with no sigh of any cross contamination i.e. large grit getting embedded in the finer stones...
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

Quote Originally Posted by James Taglienti View Post
    I like this guy!
    Mark, Paul, James! Sadly my one skill, being a sarcastic smart aleck, exceeds my woodworking skills, but I'm glad it is appreciated. Of course, we have ALL seen the endless debates where the absurdly experienced sharpening guru's go off on tangents that, while may be valid, are more directed at scientific studies than a "how to" guide for most of us and make us shake our heads in utter confusion. I do appreciate these guys, but I was hoping my over the top made up nonsense about water quality might help bring us all down to earth a little bit. No harm or insult intended - just the former class clown here having a little fun!

Mark, Paul, James! Sadly my one skill, being a sarcastic smart aleck, exceeds my woodworking skills, but I'm glad it is appreciated.
    Then your woodworking skills must be awful!

Sorry, I couldn't pass up the opening.

On the other hand, were it not for all the sharpening debates, I might actually get some work done.

Steve

Mark, Paul, James! Sadly my one skill, being a sarcastic smart aleck, exceeds my woodworking skills, but I'm glad it is appreciated. Of course, we have ALL seen the endless debates where the absurdly experienced sharpening guru's go off on tangents that, while may be valid, are more directed at scientific studies than a "how to" guide for most of us and make us shake our heads in utter confusion. I do appreciate these guys, but I was hoping my over the top made up nonsense about water quality might help bring us all down to earth a little bit. No harm or insult intended - just the former class clown here having a little fun!
    Wait a minute. Are you saying you were just kidding?!!!

Great...now I've gotta call that water treatment guy back and tell him not to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Friedman View Post
    Then your woodworking skills must be awful!

Sorry, I couldn't pass up the opening.

On the other hand, were it not for all the sharpening debates, I might actually get some work done.

Steve
    Oh man, that hurts... deep pain...

OK now I'm laughing out loud - no beverages You know Harold, once you call those guys they never give up
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I started with a $20 King 800/4000 stone, and kept it in water ready to go. This worked fine for quite a while, but then it became much more difficult to use, and impossible to flatten. It turned out to have partly separated at the joint between the two stones, and the stones were sufficiently flexible that crud would work its way between them, putting the surface out of flat. So while soaking the 800 grit stone is a good idea, long term storage in water is contraindicated for this stone.
    Last edited by Alan Schwabacher; 01-08-2013 at 1:30 PM.

I keep any stone that can be left in water in water indefinitely. My sigma's have been sitting in water non stop for months. When my only stone was a Notons 1k/8k, it lived in water indefinitely as well. My my magnesia stones (Naniwa Cho and naniwa snow white) that can't be permasoaked I generally use with a splash, even though they technically perform best when soaked. I do what is most convenient and works. I always felt like the Sigs worked best with a good soak, so if I were you I'd just leave them in water all the time.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...