Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the Wolverine Skew Jig needed?

Is the Wolverine Skew Jig needed?

I just got back from Woodcraft with The Wolverine jig and also the skew adapter for the Wolverine. I haven't opened or put anything together yet but I was just watching this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wWUFYMAMBA and at the 5:25 mark sharpens the skew with the regular jig (without the skew adapter).

The skew adapter was $35 so I guess I'd rather take it back if it's not really needed. My question is, for those that have the Wolverine jig - does the skew adapter add any real value for you? Does it make things significantly easier? Or do you think the base Wolverine jig is just as good for sharpening the skew.

I have the jig and it makes is easier for me to get consistent grind. YMMV
    Matt Newton
    IAFF Local 2664

non illigitimi carborundum

The skew jig is actually quite limiting. It helps you (forces you) to achieve a straight blade. But many people find a more complex grind ala Alan Lacer a much better tool and you can't do that with the skew jig. The best tool for sharpening a skew is a platform. I've been using the oneway platform since I bought the system but recently saw/ordered Reed Gray's Robo Rest because it is easier to use and gives you repeatable grind angles.

I have the skew attachment, and never use it. Wish I would have brought It back. Use the platform.

I do not have an answer, just an additional question. In the video, he sharpens the skew without a skew jig as you said. If you keep on doing this, wouldn't you end up over time grinding it to a square end?

John, when you use the platform, do you eye it in and hold it at an angle that looks right? Do you mark the angle on the platform as a guide?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Bought it, used it once and never since. I now use a Lacer style curved edge on my big skew and a straight but convex sided grind on my small skew. Neither work with the jig.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I printed out a picture of one and made my own with some scrap 1/4" poplar making the V rests the same size as the wolverine jig. I attached it to my wolverine like they show on the website and it works great. I get a repeatable grind on my skews everytime. I wouldn't be without it. (It was very easy to make with some thin wood, 2 nuts, washers and bolts, glue and a brad nailer).
    Tim
    Seven days without turning makes one weak.

+1 on the Robo rest

The only reason I can think of for using any jig to sharpen a skew would be if you had one of the oval shafted skews, which when hand held would want to rock a bit. If the sides are flat, then it takes almost no skill to sharpen on a platform. You can have the edge straight, or curved, depending on how you hold and move the handle. The only tool easier to sharpen on the platform is a scraper. I never understood the concept of the long arm on your grinder set up to anchor the handle end. Too many adjustments.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    The only reason I can think of for using any jig to sharpen a skew would be if you had one of the oval shafted skews, which when hand held would want to rock a bit. If the sides are flat, then it takes almost no skill to sharpen on a platform. You can have the edge straight, or curved, depending on how you hold and move the handle. The only tool easier to sharpen on the platform is a scraper. I never understood the concept of the long arm on your grinder set up to anchor the handle end. Too many adjustments.

robo hippy
    What Reed said.

Also, if the skew is an oval, a piece of wood that has a stepped dado cut in it the width of the skew will keep the skew flat and permit sharpening on the platform.
    Last edited by Dale Miner; 01-05-2013 at 2:51 PM. Reason: spelling

On my Sorby there is a slot in the table top for jigs to slide. Below is a picture of what they sell for the skew. I made mine and I prefer my skews straight not curved. If you do not have a slot in your top you can make a thin plate with a small lip to catch over the top edge and then glue on your angle guide.
    It is really quicker for me to just use my thumb as a guide on the bottom edge and slide the skew back and forth by eye. Seems to work just as good as I have no problems with honing.

Attached Images Attached Images
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

I used the Wolverine jig for a couple of years and never really liked the results. After attending a skew class through our local club, I've started using the platform only, followed by diamond hone and leather strop. I've also gone from a straight edge to a curved edge. Since regrinding several months ago, I've only needed to hone and strop. It stays sharp enough to shave the hair off my arm (or open a vein if I'm not careful).

I used it with an oval skew but have since abandoned it after discovering the Alan Lacer grind. Liked this grind so much that I have reground my skews accordingly and I only use the platform now.
    Dick Mahany.

I bought it but never use it. Like others, I only use the platform.

I have one of the jigs but find it only fits certain skews. Two of the skews I use to have were to long they hit the wheel cover as far out as the arm would go. My small skews ended up with way out wacky angles, I finally gave up. I teach a class on the Wolverine Jig and refuse to try to show people how the skew jig works cause to me it don't work.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.