Thread: Found: Knifte Setting Jig for Rockwell RC-33 planer/Delta 22-650

Found: Knifte Setting Jig for Rockwell RC-33 planer/Delta 22-650

I recently bought a Rockwell RC-33 13" planer, the Delta model is 22-650. I posted on Sawmill Creek Classified a few months ago looking for an original knife setting jig, as this planer is very difficult to access the planer head to set the knives. I had several suggestions that did not work and had just about given up on finding a good off the shelf jig.

Yesterday I noticed a jig at Woodcraft. It is described as their small jig and costs $59.99. I bought one this morning and tried it this afternoon. Boy, am I impressed! This jig is well made, works as advertised and is easy to use. Note that this is for smaller planers, up to a 3" head. There are many brands that are available that are larger, to fit up to a 5" head. This is the first one I have seen for the small planer specifically. This jig is made in Taiwan, not PRC

For anyone familiar with the Rockwell RC-33, the motor sits on top. You take the metal chip shield off, tilt the motor and then take the chip deflector off. It only took me about 30 minutes to reset my knives.

Maybe I'm just a cheap date but I was very impressed and pleased! For anyone who owns one of these planers or other small planers this is a good deal.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good to know! Thanks for the mini-review.

I looked at these type of setting jigs but there weren't many reviews so I decided to get the factory setting jig.

John, I have an original knife setter for the planer and didn't see your post. I would have sold it to you but frankly I think you will be happier with what you have. Dave

I assume you use 2 of these devices when setting the knives? I have an RC33 and while I love the machine, the motor makes getting to the knives is a pain.

Lynn Kasdorf

Yes, you use two jigs on the head, and the fit is somewhat tight, but once you pivot the motor up it fits fine.

I really did change out my knives in 15 to 20 minutes, start to finish. I was very happy with that, and the finish on the wood is very good, they did set the knives very closely.

By the way, the color of the ones I got at Woodcraft are red.

good luck

I have the exact same planer , the exact same problem, and bought the exact same knife setting jig at Woodcraft. It fits with about 1 millimeter to spare.

Quote Originally Posted by john lawson View Post
    I recently bought a Rockwell RC-33 13" planer, the Delta model is 22-650. I posted on Sawmill Creek Classified a few months ago looking for an original knife setting jig, as this planer is very difficult to access the planer head to set the knives. I had several suggestions that did not work and had just about given up on finding a good off the shelf jig.

Yesterday I noticed a jig at Woodcraft. It is described as their small jig and costs $59.99. I bought one this morning and tried it this afternoon. Boy, am I impressed! This jig is well made, works as advertised and is easy to use. Note that this is for smaller planers, up to a 3" head. There are many brands that are available that are larger, to fit up to a 5" head. This is the first one I have seen for the small planer specifically. This jig is made in Taiwan, not PRC

For anyone familiar with the Rockwell RC-33, the motor sits on top. You take the metal chip shield off, tilt the motor and then take the chip deflector off. It only took me about 30 minutes to reset my knives.

Maybe I'm just a cheap date but I was very impressed and pleased! For anyone who owns one of these planers or other small planers this is a good deal.
    Just received the Woodcraft jig set. My question is: What are the factory settings for the knives and how do you enter that spec into the jig? Guess that is 2 questions. I have the manual part #428-06-651-0003, but it only references the factory knife-setting guide, which I don't have.

I don't have a figure for you but I can say this. When I set my knives using the Rockwell jig, the knife only extends out of the cutterhead the height of the bevel, if you know what I mean.

Lets say the knives are ground to 45 degrees (they are something like that, but lets say 45). The vertex of the 135 degree angle just meets the edge of the slot on the cutterhead- so only the bevel protrudes. You could do the math here with trig to calc the depth if you know the bevel angle and the exact thickness. I think it is 45 and 1/8" respectively. Assuming that, then the blade would protrude 1/8" or 0.125". If it is less than 45, the figure would be a little higher.

Thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Kasdorf View Post
    I don't have a figure for you but I can say this. When I set my knives using the Rockwell jig, the knife only extends out of the cutterhead the height of the bevel, if you know what I mean.

Lets say the knives are ground to 45 degrees (they are something like that, but lets say 45). The vertex of the 135 degree angle just meets the edge of the slot on the cutterhead- so only the bevel protrudes. You could do the math here with trig to calc the depth if you know the bevel angle and the exact thickness. I think it is 45 and 1/8" respectively. Assuming that, then the blade would protrude 1/8" or 0.125". If it is less than 45, the figure would be a little higher.
    Thanks. That is just the way the knives are positioned now. There is a lot of "gunk" on the head and in the knife slots which is why I wanted to remove and reset the knives after cleaning. I'll see if I can determine the setting for the jig based on the current position and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    John, I have an original knife setter for the planer and didn't see your post. I would have sold it to you but frankly I think you will be happier with what you have. Dave
    Hi David,

Any chance you still have the RC-33 knife setting jig and want to sell it? I'm in the same position as the OP. I did make myself a jig using a dial indicator, but my problem is that I really don't know how high they are supposed to be set to begin with. Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but your PM box is full

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lambe View Post
    Just received the Woodcraft jig set. My question is: What are the factory settings for the knives and how do you enter that spec into the jig? Guess that is 2 questions. I have the manual part #428-06-651-0003, but it only references the factory knife-setting guide, which I don't have.
    I have the same Rockwell RC-33 planer. I don't have an answer for the factory setting of knives, but once the knives are set the chip breaker and outfeed roller should be set so that they are 0.040 inch ( 1 mm) below the cutting edge of the knives. Assuming your chip breaker and outfeed roller are set nominally correct you could perhaps work backwards by trial and error to get the knives 0.040 inch above the breaker and outfeed roller. The RC-33 instruction book shows how to measure and set these things, assuming you have the knife setting jig. If you don't have an RC-33 instruction book take a look at pages 21, 22, 33, 34, 35 in this PDF file https://drive.google.com/file/d/16ZL...fzkmopxBk/view or watch this rather long video https://youtu.be/zFdcSKi47ZU I used straight knives for 35 years and finally decided to change to Byrd Shelix cutter head, which gave a great improvement in wood surface quality, and made all my knife troubles go away - that would be another solution. Watch video to see what is involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lambe View Post
    This photo, of RC-33 cutter head, was taken with the blade set using factory supplied jig. The blades are ground to 40 degrees. As can be seen in the photo, the trailing edge of the bevel is about even with the cutter head surface. Hope this information helps you to set up your blade setting jig.
    IMG_4664.jpg

RC-33 instruction book can be found here. Shows how to set the knives. Remember to unplug your machine. https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...U3?usp=sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Woodward View Post
    This photo, of RC-33 cutter head, was taken with the blade set using factory supplied jig. The blades are ground to 40 degrees. As can be seen in the photo, the trailing edge of the bevel is about even with the cutter head surface. Hope this information helps you to set up your blade setting jig.
    IMG_4664.jpg
    In the Google drive Manuel it says to grind the bevel angle to 35 degrees. They don’t say what the hook angle of the head is . But let’s say it 45 and you grind the 35 you get 10 clearance. After a few board feet a trained eye can look at the knife and see if it has enough clearance. Always set up a machine just like the book says. They were not dummies that designed our machines back then.
    I know it’s a old thread.

Good Luck
    Aj