Thread: I'm back spinning and a big spinny Gloat!!!!!

Thumbs up I'm back spinning and a big spinny Gloat!!!!!

A short story I wanted to share...

A couple years ago I bought my mom a ring saw for cutting stained glass. With the extra blade and drive belt I spent about $500 on it but she didn't use it, its a bit noisy and it scared her and she lost interest in doing stained glass because of her arthritis. So she recently gave it to me so I could do stained glass with my kids. We made a few pieces but soon lost interest ourselves and the saw collected dust and took up space in my shop so Last month I put it up for sale on our local internet providers classified for $250. I soon got an e-mail asking me if I would be willing to trade it for a Henegar 18" scroll saw. I did a little research on the net real quick to see the model saw she was offering was retail ~$1,400.00 so I reply in the affirmative and we make the trade. She just lives down the highway a few miles so I deliver the ring saw and pick up the scroll saw. She makes jewelry and such and the ring saw was perfect for what she does and was extremely excited about having it; the scroll saw was like new :

I have been running in circles with so much stuff to do since
    we met, yesterday. But I had to stop to take a moment to
    thank you, once again, for the Ring Saw. I am almost sorry
    it is the Christmas holiday because there is an ever growing
    list of things that I have to do and all I really want to do is
    play with my Saw. I am counting down the days til Christmas
    is over and my time will be my own.

Thank you so much Mark. I really can't tell you how excited
    I am. You made my year. And like I said, I'll have to make
    you something to show my appreciation when the holidays
    are over.

A very Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Sincerely,
    Linde

Here is pic of the ring saw and the scroll saw I got for trade.:

It gets even better! I already have a 22" scroll saw so I didn't realy need the Heneger. I was looking through the same classified and spotted a wood lathe for sale for like $600 so I send them an e-mail to see if he would be interested in trading and he says "sure". It was just before Christmas and he was out of town but we could make the trade when he gets back after Christmas. Yesterday we made the trade, he delivered the lathe and picked up the scroll saw. He upgraded his shop lathe and the scroll saw would be a great compliment to his shop . The Lathe retails for $1,495.00 and its about 6 years old (The Hegener was 20 y.o.). I spent last night configuring a 220 receptacle for it and started recommissioning it.

Nice addition to my work shop and helluva upgrade from the POS Harbor freight lathe I have. Its a Grizzly G0632
    Specifications:

Motor: 1-1/2 HP, 220V, 3-phase with single-phase frequency drive
    Power requirement: 220V, single-phase
    Swing over bed: 16"
    Distance between centers: 42"
    Heavy-duty, precision machined steel bed and cast iron legs ensures stability and minimal vibration
    1-1/4" x 8 TPI RH headstock spindle
    Spindle variable speed control with digital readout
    Speed range, high: 250-3200 RPM low: 100-1200 RPM
    MT#2 spindle & tailstock tapers
    Spindle bore: .445"
    Overall dimensions: 77-1/16"L x 22-1/16"W x 47"H
    Approximate shipping weight: 394 lbs

I had to put a chunk of oak on it to give it a test drive.

A rare case of WIN, WIN, WIN.

Now that's how you do it! That's my kind of trading!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

3. The Grizzly G0632 is a clone of the Jet 1642 evs.....only it has one addition....the headstock will swivel 90 degrees to the bed for outboard turning.........pretty nice lathe!

We invite you to look at the Grizzly Green Monster Group [GGMG] for corner of this community that owns and uses Grizzly lathes........just look at the community tab at the top of the page, click...then groups.....you will see the GGMG......feel free to join the group and participate in the discussions and post some of your work if you so desire!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

A thing is worth what someone is willing to pay (trade) for it.

I have heard a very few better trade sequences, but very few. (I had an uncle claimed he found a pocket knife and started a series that ended up with him having a car - this was right after he returned from WW2 and knowing him, I believe it!)

Sounds like you got a good trade there. I have the Jet 1642 but the 120v version. I know that is a good machine and I have heard good reports on the grizzly clone.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Thanks for the props!

I'm stoked! Its more machine than I would have bought had I had the money to buy a lathe, which has been high on my wish list for a while now.

I'm even more excited the fact that we all three came out better off.

Congrats and some fine trading indeed.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Merry Christmas!!! Nice job. Awesome to see trades like this were someone makes out and everybody is happy.

Jon

Thanks Bernie,

So I found a piece of oak layin around....

My youngest daughter claimed it for her own self defense ...How could I refuse.
    Last edited by Mark Norman; 01-06-2013 at 12:40 AM.