Thread: gloat to be, maybe...

gloat to be, maybe...

I purchased a Shop Fox W1744S 12" jointer from a very reputable online retailer with whom I've had good previous experiences. The freight company who brought it towards the end of December was laughable at best (long story and not the point). When it was finally delivered, it was badly damaged, and I refused delivery. The retailer promptly shipped out a replacement using a different freight company, and it was delivered on January 3rd, with no shipping related problems this time.

I began assembling it and cleaning up the export grease the next day, and began noticing some oddities. A few aspects of its design didn't match up to my recollection from studying the owner's manual downloaded from Shop Fox's website, and the paint scheme doesn't look like the current pictures of it online. The reason for this became obvious when I checked the data label, and found that it was manufactured in May of 2008.

I guess the retailer had it in inventory for nearly five years now.

The machine appears to be in basically good shape, with a few caveats. The cast iron cleaned up relatively well (removing the export grease), but even after cleaning it all off with mineral spirits, and then rubbing/polishing the top with Top-Saver, it has a few dark stains that won't fully go away (they look like what is left on old rusted cast iron after cleaning it up, only they are pretty minor, and there was no apparent rust before the clean up).

Also, there are a few scratches in the surface, two of which you can barely feel with your thumbnail, but they don't seem significant enough to affect usage.

The sticker on the switch panel is kind of messed up, like wrinkled and crinkly (I'm guessing from sitting in the warehouse all these years).

I've contacted the retailer, and they offered to either knock 10% off (and it was already a very good price), or to send out a replacement (though I have no reason to assume that it won't be another unit that has been sitting a long time).

I'm curious what you all think. Is this a big deal? Should I be concerned; the machine has definitely never been used, but I wonder if it should concern me that it sat so long, almost five years, in the warehouse? Would you feel that 10% off was a fair trade for it being this old and not in pristine condition, or would you want to go the route of having them send another (which is quite a hassle given the size/weight of this machine)?

Anyway, I left out the name of the retailer because this isn't meant as a complaint against them, it is simply a request for opinions on how I should proceed. My gut/emotion says this sucks (it being so long since its manufacture), but objectively I'm not sure it really matters that much.

Thanks for your input...

I don't think I'd be that concerned about the cosmetic stuff. Normal use will cause that type of stuff anyway.
    The concern I'd have is that the grease in the bearings may be dried up. How long does the grease last? Does 10% cover the cost of new cutterhead and motor bearings?
    Paul

To me 10% would not be enough. It's like buying a new car, if you wanted something older then you could have looked at used machines and saved more than the 10% offered discount. I would contact the seller and tell them to check the manufacture date before shipping something that was tha same age. At the least I personally would expect something at least 2010 or newer. At 2008 you are looking at a machine that is already 5 years old. What kind of headaches is that going to cause if you have a warranty issue? The serial number will be tied to that manufacturing date.
    Andy Kertesz

" Impaled on nails of ice, raked by emerald fire"...... King Crimson '71

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Kertesz View Post
    To me 10% would not be enough. It's like buying a new car, if you wanted something older then you could have looked at used machines and saved more than the 10% offered discount. I would contact the seller and tell them to check the manufacture date before shipping something that was tha same age. At the least I personally would expect something at least 2010 or newer. At 2008 you are looking at a machine that is already 5 years old. What kind of headaches is that going to cause if you have a warranty issue? The serial number will be tied to that manufacturing date.
    I agree. Also it depends on how much you spent for it. If you had ordered it expecting a new model then it is a very big deal. However if you purchased it knowing it was NOS then it is a different matter and I think I would keep it and take the additional 10% off. I would also be concerned about warranty issues being that it is a 5+ year old machine. They seem to be willing to work with you so do whatever makes you happy that is all that really matters what we say doesn't really factor into YOUR situation as it is your purchase and everyone is different on how they view things.

I think it would be surprising to all of us if we knew how much of any of our machines lives were spent sitting in a warehouse, or shop someplace. They are generally very tolerant of this. Assuming you bought it because you thought it was a well designed machine, and you will be able to get any warranty like it was a new machine, I would personally take the discount and enjoy the new gloat worthy addition to the shop.

Since you know it was sitting around for that long and looks like it got bumped around a bit I would get a replacement and let someone else get the 10% off. If you are like me I don't make these big purchases often and want them to be right.

Mike

Depends completely on you. Are the tools youv'e owned and used for a few years in similar condition? How relevant is the 10% for your situation? I personally hate taking the cosmoline off so I'd take the discount. Sounds like a standup one seller, Amazon perhaps

It would bother me only if design changes gave the newer model some feature that I wanted. If you are the type person that keeps tools spotless and looking new, it would likely be a big problem.

Five years sitting is too long for me. If you can stand it, offer to pay him his invoice cost and then demand a good deal on some accessories for your trouble of taking the dust collector off his hands.

Would not matter to me, I would take the 10% discount..

I would take the additional 10% off an "already a very good price" unless, as someone mentioned, the features have changed. Not many machines today are using better quality parts than what was used several years ago, many use lesser quality materials, cheaper factories, and lower quality control standards.

I decided to keep the machine and accept the offered 10% discount.

I spoke to Shop Fox, and they told me that it isn't uncommon for a retailer to have a machine in inventory for several years, and that it isn't a concern. They assured me that they would certainly honor the warranty should anything come up, that they only go by the invoice date, not the manufacture date. They've mailed me a replacement for the sticker that was messed up.

After speaking with Shop Fox and looking over spec sheets and manuals, I am 99% sure that the only changes are the paint scheme and a change from a double v-belt (mine) to a single v-belt (current). If anything, this seems better, as it would be less likely to slip.

I'll create a standard "gloat" thread once I finish setting it up, take pictures, and run a few boards through it.

Thanks to all who provided their thoughts.

It would not matter to me if it was 5 years old. Even better if they offer a 10% discount. The cast iron has aged longer and if it is still flat, then it should stay flat. Recent cost cutting trends would lead me to think that the 5 year old machine was probably manufactured better than a new model. The double v-belt is a good example. The wiring in the motor may be better.

The only issue is the old bearings and you have a 10% "insurance policy" to cover that. Sounds like a gloat to me.

Steve