Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Tool Epiphany

Lightbulb Newbie Tool Epiphany

Oh mylanta. I never knew there were so many tools for working with wood!

I'm going to need a barn...

First I'll need to buy some land. HONEY..........!

Hi George,

Welcome to the Creek.

In a word, NO.

Don't allow yourself to get caught in the tool trap. Look at the Popular Woodworking "I Can Do That" section. I think they have an introduction set up on their website.

You start with drill, and a jig saw and a few other basic tools and start BUILDING things. Then buy a new tool as the projects get more involved and you have a better idea of what you need and the typee of woodworking you want to do.

If you wait until you have the perfect set of tools you will spend a lot f money on things you will never use.

This goes for hand or power tools. You don't need to start with a seton chest to build a foot stool.

Enjoy,
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

And once you have got all the tools, you will learn that you can never have enough clamps.

+1 for the clamps. A better mousetrap will make somebody some money but you can't avoid the clamps issue.
    Teaching grandchildren the hobby is rewarding. Most of the time

Blog Entries
    Keep It Simple…

The more tools you have, the more time you will have to use keeping them sharp, oiled and clean.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hey all. I don't have the money to buy a band saw, drill press, filter system, (you all know how long this list can be...) ect. So I have no option BUT to aquire as desperately needed. I think that this is a good thing.

For instance, I posses three planes made by Stanley. Ha ha! I don't even know what kind of planes they are, let alone how to use them. But the more I explore, the more fascinated I am. I have no choice but to take it slow, but I feel like it's Christmas and I'm nine years old!

This is going to take years. Seems like a good reason not to die off too easily.

Like I said to my wife, QUESTION: Do you know why husbands usually die before wives? ANSWER: Because they want to! Ha ha ha.

I started off with an inexpensive contractors table saw, and a drill press I got off Craigslist. Be checking Craigslist for the stuff you want. Be patient. I have gotten almost every big tool I own from cl.

Blog Entries
    +1 on starting small. Even though I did that I still bought things I thought I HAD to have. This led to me finding them new homes later or worse, keeping them around knowing I'll use them . . . someday.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

He who dies with the most tools wins! Start young and never give up.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

To start, build your assembly table (which looks like a workbench).

http://americanwoodworker.com/blogs/...workbench.aspx

When that's finished, you can build a bench to fit your needs, which is yet another complicated topic.

Start with some simple hand or power tools first. Simple, like an electric drill, skill saw, hammer, chisel set, etc. A simple workbench. And if you feel you may get serious, invest in some classes. Your local Woodcraft would be a good source of classes.

Start with a project. Then acquire what you need to get that done. A lot can be done with the most basic set of portable tools. You can then spend thousands more the rest of your life to add details and make things a little easier as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Start with a project. Then acquire what you need to get that done.
    VERY good advice.

When I retired, Wife wanted a lighthouse. I spent $1k for a TS and router. New project, new tools.

Quote Originally Posted by 'jacques malan' View Post
    and once you have got all the tools, you will learn that you can never have enough clamps.
    amen! Amen!