Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dj20 jointer

dj20 jointer

can anyone tell me where a 1997 era dj20 jointer was made.Found one on craigslist picture shows on cabinet made in USA.I would like to buy either delta invicta or earlier dj20.If I cannot locate one then I will buy grizzly g0490x which has gotten a lot of good reviews from fellow creekers.

I believe it was made in Taiwan & there is nothing wrong with that, that. The model tag on the jointer should state where it was made. The Made in USA sticker is on the base, for the base. I bought a DJ20 in 1992 & used it for several years before upgrading to a 16" jointer. 2 years ago I needed a smaller jointer again. I looked hard for another DJ20. I could not find one in the time frame I had, so I got a Grizzly G0490X. The G0490X is every bit as good of a jointer as the DJ20.
    You cannot go wrong either way by getting a good used DJ20 or a G0490X

I agree with Chris, the Taiwan machines are still very good machines. I have a 90' DJ20 that was made in Brazil and it's well made. I've also had several post 2000 Delta machines and they were quality tools. Going head to head I've found Delta is going to be a better quality tool, however that doesn't mean you won't be perfectly happy with a Grizzly.

good luck,
    JeffD

Just make sure you have a router ,too.....you'll need it for the really big boards in large tables.

Well looks like it will be a grizzly unless a dj20 deal pops up.And of course the before christmas deal is over for the g0490x.Thanks for the replies

Delta was about the first company to supervise quality in Taiwan and made pretty good stuff over there- especially in comparison to the competition at that time. I have a late 90s version and it is OK. Tables not as flat as I'd like but overall a good performer. The Grizzly of today is probably close in overall quality. I would feel much more comfortable buying todays jointer if i could see and inspect it. The cast iron tolerances aren't held as high and the cutterheads run on some pretty small bearings. I think the older DJ 20 still had a pretty decent motor though. Dave

I did respond to your PM this morning.

All things considered, I would be looking at a Grizzly G0490 as it has 4 knives and a bigger motor and they seemed to have most of the bugs worked out from the earlier ones that had weak motor mounts. Also, todays service from Delta is poor at best and Grizzly's is as good as anybody's right now. I only own one Grizzly machine, a metal lathe, but know lots of people who have their stuff and are very satisfied. $1,000 is top dollar for a DJ20. The owner probably paid well over $1,500 for it, but that was before all the clones came out.

CPeter

Ken,

There is an Invicta Delta DJ20 model 37-350 on ebay item number 261152421362 June 1989 vintage.

Roger

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Harris View Post
    can anyone tell me where a 1997 era dj20 jointer was made.Found one on craigslist picture shows on cabinet made in USA.I would like to buy either delta invicta or earlier dj20.If I cannot locate one then I will buy grizzly g0490x which has gotten a lot of good reviews from fellow creekers.
    Invicta deltas were made in Brazil... if you want USA-made then you'll need to look at the machine tag (or maybe someone knows the last year they were made in the US). FWIW, I have a year 2000 DJ-20 and it's been a solid machine since I first turned it on.

I bought a used DJ20 on Craigslidt a couple years ago. How can you tell the year it was made? It says The plate says Delta International Machinery Corp, Pittsburgh PA., made in USA.

I woul be interested in its vintage.

I checked on the jointer Roger let me know about.T he jointer is in california and I am in mi.The shipping charge is 878.00$.Unless any of us are lucky to find something nearby the shipping charges for used machines is just too great.I will keep looking but grizzly is looking better and better.

3 other features that the Grizzly G0490 has that the Delta DJ20 does not are a magnetic starter, an easy access switch & a very nice built in mobile base.

Ken,

There is an Invica DJ20 on Ebay Item Number 261153295838 in Michigan.

Roger Davis

Ken,

Here is another on ebay item number 300845273824 in Illinois.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Davis View Post
    Ken,

There is an Invica DJ20 on Ebay Item Number 261153295838 in Michigan.

Roger Davis
    Well this one is no longer available I wonder if he contacted the seller and made a behind the scenes deal for it? Great if he did looks like a nice jointer.