Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plane crack

Plane crack

Getting down to brass tacks. . .while putting together my Veritas Twin Screw vise, I had a #4 smooth plane bounce off the floor.

I believe that it may have a tiny crack now near the mouth that runs toward the back. If you look on the plane's sole with the tote at the bottom, it's in the lower left corner, barely visible, barely able to catch a fingernail, and it runs toward the tote along the side. Maybe 1/4" long, if that.

Now, it's question time. How much is this going to fudge things up? Should I remove all hardware and send the sole to the scrap heap?
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

Hi Adam,

I am still using my grandfather's MF jack plane with a crack like you describe. I just sanded that area of the sole to make sure there was nothing protruding to scratch the wood surface. YMMV, though.

JP

I have Stanley #18 with a crack in one of the sides. Use it all the time.

Speaking not from experience of that situation in a plane, but more from a general engineering perspective Adam. It probably depends a bit on what's going on in the casting. If it's reasonably well stress relieved (which anyway happens naturally over time) then with a bit of luck it'll quite likely stay put. It's hard to think of any welding or brazing process that wouldn't worsen the situation by introducing more stresses, probably causing distortion and in the end possibly not stopping the crack anyway...

ian

I agree with the other. Just try to not drop it again!! It will be o.k. if not further shocked.

Betcha a little call to Ottawa gets a replacement body sent your way.

They want your business - why not call?
    The worst they could say is, "Sure, we can fix that. While we're chatting have you seen our new.....?"

I have a Bailey #3 with a crack in the same location. Still produces .001" shavings. Use it and enjoy.

Knocked my MF 8 on the floor and did the same thing when it landed upside down on the concrete. The bottom of the plane behind the mouth was slowly pushed down by the clamping of the iron or the forces imparted on the plane by using it. Several times I flattened the sole only to have the problem reappear. Finally fixed my problem by buyind a new (old) plane from Walt at Brass City.

What make was the plane(he didn't say it was a Veritas).

If,as I gather,the plane was cracked near the front,and not at the mouth,I don't think it will be an ongoing problem. There's no real effective way to repair it,save brazing,which would cause warping and other problems.
    Last edited by george wilson; 01-07-2013 at 11:56 AM.

Blog Entries
    You haven't said what make plane it is, or how old. If it's a Veritas, Lie-Nielsen or Woodriver I would contact their customer service. I think any of them would be quite likely to replace the body.

If it's an old plane I'd just keep using it until it became unservicable. A quick flattening my be in order to ensure it doesn't make the wood.
    - Mike

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Oh, this is an old Bailey #4 smoother I got at an antique store in Maine.

@George> The crack is starting to run just under the frog. It's maybe 1/4" long, if that.

And yes, I do need to quit knocking my planes on the floor. It's been a problem since I don't have a workbench to put them on that is well anchored and shock-resistant.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

12. here's one I picked up at a yard sale. someone repaired it and kept using it for I don't know how long. the toe was even out of plane with the rest of the body by probably 1/64" or so and it still pulled a decent shaving.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_me...rm32o1_400.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by bridger berdel View Post
    here's one I picked up at a yard sale. someone repaired it and kept using it for I don't know how long. the toe was even out of plane with the rest of the body by probably 1/64" or so and it still pulled a decent shaving.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_me...rm32o1_400.jpg
    That's hardcore.

Resharpen the blade, and give it a try. If it works, then the only thing broken is the resale value.

I see where the crack is. At least it isn't going up the SIDE of the plane from the mouth. I suppose the plane will be o.o.. Check the sole for flatness with everything(frog,blade) in place and as if you were going to use it,except retract the blade from the sole a bit.

Frequently old plane bodies are for sale on Ebay. I saw 2 not long ago.