Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wood ID

Thanks, Ted. However, know that there were a few other downed trees in the vicinity, and the leaves you see are likely from the majority of the other trees in the area (oak).

Not to mention a sweetgum that size would have literally bushels of the 'gumballs' on the ground around it for a considerable distance, and I don't see a one. As to what it actually is --

That bark looks a lot like Linden/Basswood, I don't believe it is either Maple or Tulip/Yellow Poplar, though I have worked Maple that was that dark in the center but the bark doesn't fit, a picture of the twigs of that tree could shed some more light on what it is, as I'm not sure and been back a few times to look at these last pictures, it is still a guess for me.
    Have fun and take care

Looks like a poplar leaf!
    Attached Images Attached Images

that is not the same type Poplar we have in the south, Bark is wrong

It's nice looking wood, I'm not going to guess the species. To me the biggest question is are you going back for more?
    Looks like there may be a nice crotch piece in the first picture though it's hard to tell from here.
    Rodney

Prashun, I'm stymied... the bark does not look like either Poplar or sweet gum to me...

Sweetgum...log is a dead giveaway!
    I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken!

The term Poplar is confusing as is many common names. I assume Yellow Poplar is being mentioned here. YP is really a Magnolia--L. tulipifera and the wood is almost impossible to seperate from Southern magnolia. Growth rings are distinct but by whitish parenchyma cells and not by large pores as in oak, ash ect. The pores are invisible without magnification. Walnut for instance is diffuse poreous but. with large pores scattered the surface. Pores are the first clues to seperating species.

looks like hickory to me, but large amount of heartwood than the one time i turned it, give it 6 months and you will know if it is hickory or popular

Do you have hickory up your way? The heartwood looks like hickory to me. If it were poplar the bowl would be much lighter in weight when compared to maple. If it were hickory it would be of the same or slightly heavier weight. If it is hickory it is going to be like turning concrete when you finish turn it after the rough out is dried. I gave up on turning that stuff.
    Gag, Ack, Barf - Bill the Cat

Personally I would go with mulberry, it looks very much like the mulberry I've turned before.