Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why I have not been around much and something I made for him...

Congratulations grandpa. Now the fun begins. Great looking rattle.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanx all for the comments. Of course, I should have remembered the paper joint thing. Done that many times but for some reason, it escaped me in this project. Next time!

I was advised against captured rings because of the danger of the rings breaking on the short grain side. Probably not that much of an issue but I really wanted to make a hollow one anyway. FWIW, this one is also unfinished. Just polished with a bit of wax. I love how rosewood and ebony polish up!

My daughter is knitting a bag for the rattle and we will give it to my son and daughter in law tonight or tomorrow. It will probably end up being more of a "keepsake" than an actual toy but there will be plenty more toys as George Francis get on a bit...
    David DeCristoforo

Great story. Beautiful child. Exquisite rattle. Life is good .......yes?
    Dick Mahany.

Congratulations on the new shop helper. Very nice rattle too. Somehow I don't think you're done making toys...
    Rodney

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    I love how rosewood and ebony polish up!
    David, just a thought - I know this is not common, but do be aware of the possibility of an allergic reaction to the rosewood and ebony - both from the same genus that are known to cause dermatitis.

"...be aware of the possibility of an allergic reaction..."

The only surprise here is that there is not a laundry list of potential hazards! Having had the temerity to make something as potentially litigious as a baby toy, I must point out that, knowing my son and daughter in law as I do, there is little possibility of George Francis ever having the opportunity to interact with said toy in any manner which would carry even the remotest possibility of danger. I have a strong feeling that this will be much more of a "keepsake" than a "actual" toy.

DD
    David DeCristoforo

Congrats Grandpa! Beautiful baby and beautiful rattle! I would never have guessed him at just 12 hours old! He looks like a big'un and a nice head of hair too! I think you've got a winner there!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Beautiful Baby!!! Congratulations!! For me, the most satisfying projects I do at my lathe is making children's toys. When he gets older, spinning tops, a ball & cup toy and perhaps a kaleidoscope will be in order.
    P1010072.jpgP1010075.jpgP1010078 (2).jpgP1010076.jpg
    (I don't have many pictures of the toys I have made, they end up in the hands of kids pretty fast.)

The only baby rattles I have made have been the "bar-bell" shaped/captive ring type. Here's some information on that type of baby rattle if you want to give it a go. (Perhaps many of you have already seen these, if so, I apologize)

http://www.woodturningonline.com/Tur...ts.php?catid=6 (a How-To)
    http://www.morewoodturningmagazine.c...aby_rattle.pdf (a How-To)
    http://voices.yahoo.com/child-safety...g-6334496.html (Good info about safety)
    http://www.woodturner.org/products/a...tle_fall04.pdf (a How-To 'chamber with peas' style)

I list these plans/how-to's here, but dimensions will have to be double checked and adjusted to make double sure it's safe. I make my captive rings at least 1/2" thick to ensure they are strong enough to not break. I also cut the inside diameter with a very close tolerance to the "bar-bell" handle so they just slide and rattle and so that little fingers cannot get wedged between the ring and handle or get leverage enough to break the ring. I also add another safety precaution I rarely see mentioned for this type of rattle. I drill a hole completely through the "bar-bell" so that, if it does somehow get lodged in a child's mouth, the child can still breath. Wood selection and finish are important considerations as well. I prefer sound Pacific Dogwood (if I can get it) or hard Maple as they are strong, small pored, tight grained woods that polish to a high gloss and do not contain oils that people would have an allergic reaction to. I avoid burl wood as the grain runs wild and can break in unexpected ways. I use USP grade mineral oil (from the drugstore) or paraffin wax (from the grocery store canning supplies section) as a finish for the same reason. Some people have serious problems when they handle exotic woods that have tropical oils or finishes that have nut oils or bees wax. Bees wax is more of a problem for infants, but some adults are sensitive to it as well.

You're going to have a lot of fun in the coming years making every toy you can think of for him!
    Last edited by Aric Krueger; 01-09-2013 at 5:49 AM.

Double D,
    Ain't it the greatest!!! I hope this little guy lives close to you so you can be a big part of each others life. There are lots of grandfathers on the Creek and I'll bet they will all agree. When you meet your wife you feel like you can't love anyone more until you have your children. Then you feel it's impossible to love anybody more then them, then you have grandchildren and ... well, you know the feeling. Have fun.
    faust

David - CONGRATS on your new grandson! Great photo!!

I really like the rattle! I could pick that style out of a crowd at 50' feet!! Who knew it would work for a rattle as well! Seriously, very nice work!

Enjoy your grandson!! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Congrats David on such a handsome grandson. The rattle looks great, and I may have to give one a go...we have several new baby's in the family, and what a special gift that is.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

I became a grandpa in September. My daughter is very keen that Jacob has old fashioned wooden toys. So, oh dear, I had to go and buy a lathe :-)

Got it yesterday. Having a great time with it and am learning to sharpen the tools. I like the idea of a rattle so it will probably be the first turned toy. I have some ash left over from the cradle.

Incidentally shellac is a "safe" coating (it's used in sweets and medicines) and could act as a barrier for potentially allergenic woods if it can adhere to them properly.

Isn't grandfathering fun? The knowledge that his mum will be back to take him home means that you get the good times and can still sleep all night!

"...daughter is very keen that Jacob has old fashioned wooden toys..."

My son and daughter in law are also boycotting cheap plastic crap. So there will be a lot of toys in my future! Tops, kaleidoscopes, maybe a kandama, a yo-yo,... lots of thing to make! I'm looking into the possibility of making a wood telescope. I've always been fascinated by wooden scientific instruments so a telescope would be a great beginning on that. There was an article in FFW years ago about a guy who made telescopes and microscopes out of woods like olive, ebony and some ivory too before it was frowned upon. I might be able to scare that issue up.
    David DeCristoforo

Congratulations Old Phart!!! Great looking rattle!
    Whippingwater
    What if the Hokey Pokey REALLY IS what it's all about.

Sweet! Oh yeah, by the way, so is the rattle. Congratulations David.
    Call me Jim, James seems so stuffy.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."