Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foot powered mortiser chisels

Foot powered mortiser chisels

I have a lead on a Seneca Falls Diamond foot powered mortiser. The machine is in good shape but it is missing the chisels. My question is how difficult are these to find and typically what do they cost if you do find them? I have done a few internet searchs but nothing more. I would like to get some idea before I pull the trigger on it. Thanks.

Cody

P.S.
    Any information would be appreciated, as I know very little about the setup and use of the machine.

i have one made by lf parks, and have yet to see a mortice chisel for it your best bet will be to make chisels for it.

ill see if i can snap some pics of the chisel

That sounds awesome, I considered home brew chisels. I would love to see pics.

Josh Clark has some good pictures and info about one of these on his site. He might be one of a handful of people that could connect you with some vintage chisels. I find it hard to imagine that a set of these these could get separated from their original machine and then get listed by someone who wasn't deeply into old tools.

http://hyperkitten.com/blog/?p=272

Roy uses a mortiser like that in "The Shaker Bend" episode, available on the web site.

I found a Barnes and, amazingly enough, an auction of a pile of the chisels on ebay, which I snapped up. So, sure, have some made, but you may want to keep an eye out. As I recall, there were several Seneca Falls chisels in this pile which I plan to test to see if they'll also work in my Barnes, but if not, I'll let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Baker View Post
    Roy uses a mortiser like that in "The Shaker Bend" episode, available on the web site.
    It's a sweet machine. Quite a leg workout if you're doing a bunch of doors in batches. After using his, I REALLY REALLY REALLY want one for my shop.

I'm reasonably sure you'd have to drill out mortises first with such machines,as their chisels don't carry away the saw dust. The main benefit,then,I SUPPOSE,is to help you get straight 90º mortises. Haven't actually used one,but I can see these limitations coming. Easier to develop a little skill in vertical chiseling as far as I am concerned. I use my vertical mill to quickly mill slots. Then,I square up the corners with a chisel. It's quite fast,and saves my old joints from the extra wear(missing lots of cartilage). I used to cut them all by hand pretty quickly when younger.

When I made plane escapements with a slotting attachment,I had to drill away all possible wood with Forstner type bits(real Forstner bits aren't sold as far as I can see,any more). I kept a vacuum hose right there,and a steel pick. Frequently stopping the slotter and scraping away the shavings. BUT,these were pretty wide mortises,easily got at with the pick and vacuum. I made the chisels,and they would be pretty much the same as old fashioned mortising machines.

Real Forstner bits don't have the center peak that all of them seem to have now.
    Last edited by george wilson; 01-10-2013 at 8:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I'm reasonably sure you'd have to drill out mortises first with such machines
    Nope, it works just like using an old mortise chisel (I hate the term pigsticker).

I made my mortise without drilling years ago,but,can you easily get the shavings out,or is the machine or chisel in the way? Hand chisel easily taken away. Years ago I saw Roy use his,but it's been a long time,and was on TV.

I HOPE they didn't used to kill pigs with mortise chisels!! Maybe they did. Pigs are hard to kill. My step father,back in the 20's,had to kill a pig on a farm. He gave the pig food,and shot him right in the brain while he was eating. Used a .22. The pig just kept on eating!!
    Last edited by george wilson; 01-10-2013 at 8:53 AM.

Thanks for all the comments guys. I have seen Josh Clarks blog and it is pretty informative with good pictures. I have not seen Roys episode yet but I watched a video of one being used and the the guy drilled a hole in the center of the mortise and worked out from there. It went way faster than I can with my mortise chisels. Fromwhat I can see in different picks the end of the chisel that goes in the machine is tapered like a morse taper. The spindle on the machine does not have through hole or a slot for a drift pin so I am not sure how to remove the chisels any one have an idea?

Jack let me know if the Seneca Falls dont fit, I may be interested.

Speed does depend upon skill,obviously. I knew an old guy in 1963 who had had to carve a spiral piano leg in 20 minutes BY HAND or starve. Our genuine English coopers in Williamsburg(used to work in a shack with no windows and a candle at Whitbreads(sp?) brewery in England),had to hand make 2 beer barrels a day to survive. They had to be in peak physical condition to do that.

Believe it or not,I could dovetail the corner of a drawer(male and female) in 10 minutes in 1970. 2 dovetails per corner in my tool chest.(And don't accuse me of chest beating. It's a fact.) I did it in front of the director just a few weeks after I was hired,admittedly,to begin to prove myself. I was 29.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by george wilson; 01-10-2013 at 9:11 AM.

Good stuff George. I'm 29 now and dovetailed my spice chest drawers in about 20 minutes for each drawer. 29 must be the best year for cutting dovetails.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I made my mortise without drilling years ago,but,can you easily get the shavings out,or is the machine or chisel in the way? Hand chisel easily taken away. Years ago I saw Roy use his,but it's been a long time,and was on TV.

I HOPE they didn't used to kill pigs with mortise chisels!! Maybe they did. Pigs are hard to kill. My step father,back in the 20's,had to kill a pig on a farm. He gave the pig food,and shot him right in the brain while he was eating. Used a .22. The pig just kept on eating!!
    I honestly don't remember how well the chips cleared. I just remember thinking I wanted one, so I guess it did fine?

Whenever it starts to get cold, my dad always says "it's hog killin' weather". My FIL in Montana is a butcher and used to use a .22 on cattle. He's got a broken jaw to show for that.